Transferring files between PC and Surface?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface General Discussion' started by MikeSD, Nov 3, 2012.

1. MikeSD

MikeSD New Member

Anyone found a good way to transfer files (photos, music, etc) between a PC and the Surface, without using a USB drive? It's kind of a pain to use a USB Drive. It requires copying everything twice and when you are talking gigabytes, it's quite slow.
  2. Mr.NK

Mr.NK Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    RT
    Joining a homegroup on your network, so you could use your shared folders/libraries. Or using the sdcard and integrate it to your libraries.
  3. Br1an_g

Br1an_g New Member

My Device:
    RT
    my laptop that stores all my music and films automatically showed up on my surface as a media server and I am able to browse, play and copy to my sd over Wi-Fi.
    only thing I can think I did to set this up was share the folders and add them to my laptop libraries to share with my xbox
  4. MikeSD

MikeSD New Member

I tried to use the HomeGroup but I can't connect. My Surface does see my HomeGroup, and requests password. When I enter it, I get the following error: "Windows no longer detects a homegroup on this network. To create a new homegroup, click OK, and then open HomeGroup in Control Panel".

But the homegroup is already created on my PC.

UPDATE: I tried repeatedly to connect, without success. So, I deleted the homegroup and created another and this time everything went well. Now I'm connected.

The problem I'm having now is that my Surface tablet can see the PC as part of the Homegroup but the PC can't see the Surface.

Shouldn't this be a two-way share? I mean, if I setup a Homegroup on the PC and the Surface joins the Homegroup, shouldn't I be able to see shared files and folders on both machines? My Surface can see the shared libraries on the PC but the PC can't see the libraries on the Surface.

When I click Homegroup on the PC, it says "no other homegroup computers are available". But the Surface IS joined to the homegroup because I can actually transfer files. Why does the PC not see the Surface, as part of the homegroup?

The PC does see the Surface in the Network but when I click to browse it, it says it can't connect and gives hint about spelling or can't locate the computer.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  5. Mr.NK

Mr.NK Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    RT
    I've had this problem too, i solved it by leaving the homegroup on my pc and created a new - surface then showed me a slightly different information text and i was able to join.
  6. Trovahead

Trovahead New Member

My Device:
    RT
    I can't seem to find where to create a new homegroup on my PC running windows 7. I have one established, but now it won't recognize the old password.
    Would it be easier if the PC were upgraded to Windows 8? My PC does not show up on the Surface.
  7. TeknoBlast

TeknoBlast Active Member

I used an external hard drive. yeah the two step process is a hassle, but it worked.
  8. guitar1969

guitar1969 New Member

I couldn't get a homegroup set up on my home network(kept getting errors on the host pc) but I have a regular workgroup set up and everythings connected. I have a media center server set up as well and it allows my to stream from it as well
  9. kryten22uk

kryten22uk New Member

Is the USB drive only for USB sticks? I tried to use a USB cable to link my Surface to my laptop, so that I can transfer files directly rather than using WiFi, but there doesnt seem to be any recognition of the link. My Surface picks up my laptop/homegroup fine, and I can transfer files over Wifi but I wanted to know if there was a wired way that was hopefully quicker.
  10. TrentonT

TrentonT Member

SkyDrive and homegroup are my main methods
  11. Matt

Matt Member

I have not tried this yet as I dont have a surface yet (Well I do but am under orders from the wife that I cant have it till xmas) that you can simply start the Server service from computer management in Desktop mode. Once that is running (I would recommend switching the service to automatic rather than disabled) you sould be able to create normal shared folders and connect to it over a network as you would any other computer. You may have to adjust the firewall settings as well, I am not sure how strict they will be out of the box.

Any one tried this?
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  12. Bruce

Bruce New Member

I haven't tried it, but you can use a USB cable and use Windows Easy Transfer.
  13. R0bR

R0bR New Member

My guess is that your Surface has Network Discovery disabled in your Advanced Sharing Settings, take a look at that. Do a search for "advanced" and you should see it under Settings as "manage advanced sharing settings".

As for sharing files I have a Windows Home Server on the network which makes it really easy to do from any device on the network.

Edit: Ha, I take that back...I didn't realize how much they've stripped from RT,sorry.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  14. kryten22uk

kryten22uk New Member

No experience?

Seems odd that every other tablet in the market connects to a pc via a cable, but not the surface?!
  15. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    But the Surface isn't an overgrown phone, it is a fully functional PC, so the work flow would be the same as if you were transferring files to a new laptop. USB thumb drive or hard drive, SkyDrive or Home Group network.
  16. Gumption

Gumption New Member

yeh seems it likes a new homegroup is needed, as I had all the same problems as above. I am unable to get a wired internet, so atm I am running off 3g off my galaxy s3. I usually tether the net to my computer using the wired usb connector that came with phone. At first the Surface didn't recognize my phone at all when I plugged it into the usb port so I had to find another way to connect to the net. The hotspot option on my phone seemed to work though and shortly after that I had my windows updates and registration done. The workgroup option works just fine for transferring files, I have yet to use a large capacity usb drive but I am sure it would work out of the box.
  17. Duymon

Duymon New Member

Fastest way for music transfer for me has been:

1. Micro SD --> SD card converter --> USB Card reader. Just one copy and then pop the micro SD into the PC.

After that, mount your SD card drive as a folder on your C: Drive in windows RT. You only have to do the mounting once and after that can remove / reinsert the sdxc card with reckless abaddon for your Music transfer needs.
  18. neon

neon New Member

Right. I tested it. Initially Surface cannot share folders and files thru home group. But just to turn on 'server' service lets you access Surface from other PCs.
  19. machistmo

machistmo New Member

My Device:
    Other
    I use all of the above listed methods. I have to say that I don't see the USB as painful, personally, I am glad that USB IS AN OPTION AT ALL. (COUGH IPAD COUGH)
  20. stlbud

stlbud New Member

Using Windows 7 as part of your Homegroup works fine. I'm doing it at home and have had no problems.