What's new

Transferring files via USB Cable.

ultimate.goon

Hi all. I have alot of MP3's on my desktop PC i want moveti my surface3. I plugged a usb cable from the tower to the micro usb port on my tablet and they dont detect one another?
Is this even possible?

-goon

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably had to be a special cable. make a share on the desktop open to everyone for simplicity. Map a drive to the share and copy.

leeshor

As far as I know you can't use a USB cable that way. Can't you put them both on the same network? Or use something like DropBox.

OP
U

ultimate.goon

i tried to networking. they dont see each other even with network discovery turned on. Although my smartphone sees my PC.
-Stuck

guymalloc

A cat5e crossover cable will work directly from pc to pc, you can setup a peer to peer if both computers are on the same homegroup, just share the folder with the mp3's and drag and drop in explorer.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with the flashdrive. You can get a 64gb one for £15 these days. No reason not to have one. Always useful to have one at hand, for instances just like this :)

OP
U

ultimate.goon

Again I have tried the networking route but if failed. How does my android phone see my desktop PC and my windows based surface can not???

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Check again. Are you on the same Workgroup, Homegroup, and Domain? (Settings, System, About)

leeshor

Android devices are network type agnostic so long as you're on the same subnet. Windows must be on the same network name/type as well as the same subnet, (IP range, the last octet being different and the first 3 the same).