What's new

Travel Case for Surface Pro 3

WorldIRC

View attachment 2342

I highly recommend this case. I bought it at the Microsoft Store, also as a part of the bundle. It was $35 otherwise. It's made by Incipio. The outside looks like burlap but it is protected by a "wax coating" that prevents tearing. The inside has faux fur that will not scratch your Surface. It is very lightweight.

The zipper opens from the top (long side) or from the side (short side) so whether you have a horizontal or vertical bag, it's easy to get the Surface out of this.

There is only one pocket aside from the main storage area. I took the photo above with my surface, but the pocket you see there currently has the Surface Pro 3 charging brick and cable, the SP3 Pen, and the Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition inside it. You can barely even tell that there's anything in the case.

The Microsoft Store had the beige one that I have, as well as Grey and Military Green colored ones.

Only complaint is that there's no handles, but this is really meant as protection and storage rather than a carry bag.

How snug is the fit? The case is likely not "made for Surface".

pcom

I picked up the Brenthaven Collins Vertical Messenger referenced earlier in the thread (Collins Vertical Messenger - Indigo Chambray | Brenthaven.com if you want the link). Found a promo code on RetailMeNot that got me 15% off. I had sleeves for my SP1 and SP2 but, since that's all I carry aside from my phone, I need something with a little more storage. Yeah, I could stick it in my backpack but I found I often didn't bother with the backpack. The Vertical Messenger looks like it has sufficient room to hold the power adapter and some misc items in a fairly neat little package. I hope to have it in the next week or so and I'll post my observations.

BTW, it wasn't altogether easy to find pictures of the inside. I finally found a link to a PDF on the Technical Specs page (http://www.brenthaven.com/sites/default/files/spec-sheet/collins-techpack.pdf). It doesn't look like it's a picture of the actual SP3 case but I expect (hope) that the fit is similar.

WorldIRC

It's not snug -- it's a case for any 13" laptop so there's some wiggle room but it's barely noticeable.

Thought so. I'm grabbing the Targus Case shortly; hopefully that one fits nice and snug. I don't really like wiggle room inside my cases.

PopJ

Shame on me but I figured in as much as the SP3 is so close in size to the MBA 11" I might as well go to an Apple Store and try out the cases they had in stock. They had a great selection and after trying 4 or 5 out for size I found 1 sleeve that fit perfectly, the Incase City Sleeve for 11" MacBook Air. It's slim and lined in some sort of furry material which protects the device and makes it real easy to slide in and out with the keyboard on. I wish I had a pic of the look on their faces while I was doing this, although I did ask for permission before I started. I might have even converted one of the Mac shoppers who seemed to know what I had in my hands.

Last edited:

WorldIRC

Got the Target case mentioned earlier. Unfortunately it's still a bit big for tablet. Ah well, the search continues!

WorldIRC

Shame on me but I figured as in as much as the SP3 is so close in size to the MBA 11" I might as well go to an Apple Store and try out the cases they had in stock. They had a great selection and after trying 4 or 5 out for size I found 1 sleeve that fit perfectly, the Incase City Sleeve for 11" MacBook Air. It's slim and lined in some sort of furry material which protects the device and makes it real easy to slide in and out with the keyboard on. I wish I had a pic of the look on their faces while I was doing this, although I did ask for permission before I started. I might have even converted one of the Mac shoppers who seemed to know what I had in my hands.

Boo no pockets :(

double07

Just got this one today. It looks pretty nice. It looks/smells leather like. Not sure if it's real but looks good for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DNTVVAI/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_1

20140626_211125_web.jpg
20140626_211142_web.jpg
20140626_211214_web.jpg
20140626_211328_web.jpg

jedge

Shame on me but I figured in as much as the SP3 is so close in size to the MBA 11" I might as well go to an Apple Store and try out the cases they had in stock. They had a great selection and after trying 4 or 5 out for size I found 1 sleeve that fit perfectly, the Incase City Sleeve for 11" MacBook Air. It's slim and lined in some sort of furry material which protects the device and makes it real easy to slide in and out with the keyboard on. I wish I had a pic of the look on their faces while I was doing this, although I did ask for permission before I started. I might have even converted one of the Mac shoppers who seemed to know what I had in my hands.

A. That is a very nice case. Mind if i ask if it was $39 at the Apple Store too?
City Sleeve for 11" MacBook Air by Incase

B. The Macbook Air 11.6 and Chromebook 11.6, any case/sleeve made for these models will fit great for the SP3.

C. I am so taking my SP3 to the Apple store this afternoon. I'm going to plop it down next to the MacBook Airs and ask the salesperson how to yank the Air's display apart from the keyboard. Just joking, the Apple store is usually too crowded to get into.