What's new

Tried to apply for Microsoft extended cover but...

Bandito

This sounds like fodder for a class-action lawsuit.

The other thing that you may want to check into is that many or all of the EU member states have laws mandating a two-year warranty on electronics, so they may be forced to cover you regardless of whether it was a mistake or not.

Good luck in getting this sorted out!

OP
U

uktivo

They are doing something. Offering a full refund? Not what you want I know but they ARE doing something.

Sorry I disagree. They are backing out of their mistake. It's called self preservation. I'm sure I'm not the only person that pre-ordered on the promise of a 2 year warranty. What would happen if many approached MS with this issue?

The UK sales of goods act (SOGA) is extremely clear on this matter.. Below is a copy of the vendors obligations. In this case, offering a refund for my SP3 is not acceptable. I also have the dock I purchased, a case imported from USA along with many other items purchased solely for this unit.
The SOGA states that if the retailer is at fault, then the solution should not inconvenience the customer. I believe the refund avenue is an inconvenience.

Capture.JPG

OP
U

uktivo

This sounds like fodder for a class-action lawsuit.

The other thing that you may want to check into is that many or all of the EU member states have laws mandating a two-year warranty on electronics, so they may be forced to cover you regardless of whether it was a mistake or not.

Good luck in getting this sorted out!

I know from my thread on the official MS forum that the 2 year offer was also given to other EU countries. It will be interesting to see if they still have the 2 year warranty cover as standard and only the UK has been dropped to 1 year. In which case, that is naughty of MS. Charging a premium over the USD cost for this unit and stiffing the end customer on warranty perioids also at the same time.

I intend to take this to trading standards tomorrow. I will allow them to talk to MS and see if they can add pressure to them.

Ultimately, if they offer me a refund, then I will also request that ALL goods purchase for this product should also be fully refunded, regardless if MS supplied them or not, as I would not purchase another Surface pro product afterwards

nosmo.king44

That I agree with, if you purchased other goods associated with it then they should help you out refunding.

Trading standards is a good idea. Good luck.

I didn't disagree with you, I just know they always have a get out these big companies.....fancy lawyers! ;)

OP
U

uktivo

Too much inconvenience. Very important words......
Hi.. not sure what you mean sorry?

I feel the inconvenience level is high if I were to refund on the SP3 because of MS's inability to advertise product correctly... Oh, also, let's not forget.. Once they realised that they had advertised falsely, they omitted to tell any customer that had pre-ordered up to the date they realised.

You can't just blame an advertisement error and expect every inconvenienced customer to say "oh that's OK".

If they knew it was a mistake, which they clearly did as they corrected it online.. then, they should have given ALL pre-orders an email stating that it had been advertised incorrectly and offer a cancelation at that point. Not allow customers to find out weeks after the event.

raqball

I generally avoid these drama infused threads so this will be my last post in this one..

A typo was made and MS has offered you a refund. In my opinion take it or leave it..

Why not just enjoy the SP3 for the reasons you purchased it for. I highly doubt you purchased the SP3 for the warranty..

I honestly don't get the outrage, stress, worry and drama over the issue..

As far as the class action goes? LOL.. I cringe every time I hear class action suit. You do realize it will be years before a class action suit is resolved and that we will be on the SP11 before it's resolved. I am sure you are also aware that even if successful the majority of any settlement goes to the ambulance chasing attorneys right?

Anywho, this is a type of thread I generally avoid and I am already kicking myself for responding in it..

Return it for a full refund and lower your stress level..

nosmo.king44

I get your problem. But I'm talking about a court. A court in the UK would consider it reasonable that Microsoft arrange collection of the goods at their cost at a time/place convenient to the customer, and arrange a full refund. If that customer refuses to have anything to do with the collection arrangement because they insist it's always inconvenient then the customer (you and me) would be the problem.

That's why those words are important.

Regardless, speak to trading standards and get them to look at it.