What's new

Turn monitor off/Sleep mode the same thing?

ChrisPanzer

In power options, is "Turn monitor off after XX" the same as "Sleep" mode? Because to me, those are two completely different things. Many times I may simply want to turn the display OFF whilst keep the PC on and active (for instance, while downloading). To date, I have not seen a solution for this. Crude work-around, batch files, etc. but nothing really works. Has Win10 solved this?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a Connected Standby enabled device ....they are synonymous.

Which is why i find it really strange that Microsoft are able to edit out power and performance settings on the SP3 because we can't use then if we have a CS enabled device (e.g high performance mode), yet they can't edit out an option on the power and sleep options. It's just something that shouldn't exist in the options panel if it doesn't work. It's unprofessional. at least grey it out at the very least.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Which is why i find it really strange that Microsoft are able to edit out power and performance settings on the SP3 because we can't use then if we have a CS enabled device (e.g high performance mode), yet they can't edit out an option on the power and sleep options. It's just something that shouldn't exist in the options panel if it doesn't work. It's unprofessional. at least grey it out at the very least.
Agreed.....

Think this is just one of those attention to details things that MS forgot with Windows 10. Windows 8.1 got it right with machines that support CS. If CS is enabled sleep should be the only option there as they are redundant. Maybe the November release with fix this and the other bugs that are puzzling that got missed on MS's flagship device.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Attention to detail things? Seems like a 'no-brainer' type of thing to me!! Just shameful, no wonder Apple and Google are getting the best and brightest... Get with the program, MS!!! Sometimes I sit and ponder, "Wow, if MS had employed me, even with my most basic computer skillset/knowledge, I would have MADE SURE that this issue had not been overlooked!!" I don't care if it took 100 man hours, arduous nights at the office, blood, sweat, and tears... My team and I would have made a working, common-sensical power options system.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Attention to detail things? Seems like a 'no-brainer' type of thing to me!! Just shameful, no wonder Apple and Google are getting the best and brightest... Get with the program, MS!!! Sometimes I sit and ponder, "Wow, if MS had employed me, even with my most basic computer skillset/knowledge, I would have MADE SURE that this issue had not been overlooked!!" I don't care if it took 100 man hours, arduous nights at the office, blood, sweat, and tears... My team and I would have made a working, common-sensical power options system.
Its very easy to be an armchair Product Manager....