What's new

Turn Screen Off Without Sleeping?

GoodBytes

I have a software in development which has has the ability to turn off your display among changing Windows power plans if you are plugged in or not, and add keyboard shortcuts to your Surface Pro (or desktop or laptop), and control the brightness of external monitor(s) connected to your laptop or Surface or even desktop (monitor must support DDC/CI protocol). Now, as this is a Surface Pro 3, which support connected standby, the feature to change Windows power plans based on if you are plugged it or not, is useless, as you only have Balance power plan. And I have no idea if the turn off screen will actually put the device to sleep, but if you are willing to give it a spin, let me know, and I'll give you a link to get it.

Contact

Monoff (or sleeper) doesn't work for the SP3. These programs just put the SP3 to sleep. Does anyone know a working solution?

Contact

Sorry for not being clear. The problem is that the music stops (computer goes to sleep) while I would like the computer to not sleep but have the display off. Monoff doesn't work on the SP3 (turning off the display is linked to "sleep" on devices with connected standby enabled). In my case, I want to be able to run simulations in matlab overnight without the screen being on the whole time. It is extremely annoying not being able to do this in other use-cases as well (like listening to music, or downloading a large file overnight).

edit: two feasible workarounds so far...
1) disable connected standby (enable hyper-v)
- problem is that connected standby is off so you lose some power-savings (and I think sleep might not work anymore, need to confirm this)
2) connect to second external monitor and physically turn that off using the power button on the external display
- problem is that "waking up" the monitor doesn't require a password (so if I leave the desk at work all my stuff is exposed)

Turning off the display after x period of time was a beautiful feature that has been in place since (before?) xp. It boggles the mind that this is not available on a machine in 2014!

GoodBytes

You can try my software (beta release):
[link removed]

It adds a battery icon on the notification tray. Right-click on it, and select "Turn off display". Play music at the same time, to see if it works. Try with the Metro Music app.

Last edited:

Seneleron

The SP2 doesn't have connected-standby
ou can try my software (beta release):
http://www.nvgpupro.com/powermonitor/PowerMonitor_Setup.exe

Wow, I'm really sorry I missed this. I guess I just assumed since this was the Surface pro 3 forum, the O/P was trying to do this with a surface pro 3, which has connected standby and does not have those power options. Apparently, however, I was correct about SOMEONE not understanding connected standby.

ou can try my software (beta release):
http://www.nvgpupro.com/powermonitor/PowerMonitor_Setup.exe

It adds a battery icon on the notification tray. Right-click on it, and select "Turn off display". Play music at the same time, to see if it works. Try with the Metro Music app.

I'll have to give this a shot, though I already have BatteryBar installed. To be able to set a profile for sleep/never and just manually display off would be an absolute miracle!

Update:

Invalid or corrupted 'System.dll' file. Reinstall the software to correct the problem.

Seneleron

Link works now, thak you so much :)

edit: Same system.dll error. Could it be a conflict between this and BatteryBar? [which I know I should uninstall, but was waiting to test drive yours before doing so]