What's new

Turn Screen Off Without Sleeping?

RadicalDad

Is there a reason why the moderator removed the direct download link for the software GoodBytes wrote? Where can I download this to see if it works as intended on a Surface Pro 3? Anyone with an SP3 (or other Connected Standby system) try this yet?

RadicalDad

I tried to run to Power Monitor program on my SP3 and had the same result as landy. I get the error message that says "Invalid or corrupted 'system.dll' file. Reinstall the software to correct the problem." Also tried reinstall and restart. Visual C++ was already installed on my system by some unknown process - when I try to install the redistributable, it says it is already installed and wants to either uninstall or repair the existing installation. Did the repair option, but still no joy.

Too bad you can't borrow an SP3 to test. Lots of us would like to see a solution that MS is failing to provide at the moment.

Bump. This problem is driving me absolutely crazy. I know a few application that are in development but has anybody made progress yet. I know I can shut off the PC screen when I connect to another monitor and the SP3 continues to run. There must be a way.

GoodBytes

Sorry, you have to wait for December. I am extremely busy with school. :/
I'll see if I have a hint of time to fix the error at startup. It's a false, error that occurs, I know that the problem is that it gets the power profiles, but only gets Balance, as the Surface Pro 3 doesn't have the tradition power plans, like non-Connected standby systems.

r0b123

Would you mind sharing the source code for some of us that can compile and build this? :) Is this shared on Git or some other repository?

So the SP3's screen can be shutoff when its connected to an external monitor. Maybe create some of windows script that will trick Windows into thinking that it is connected to another monitor and shut off the primary screen. Seems nutty that there isnt a way to shut off the darn screen. Every tablet I know of has this ability.

GoodBytes

Would you mind sharing the source code for some of us that can compile and build this? :) Is this shared on Git or some other repository?
I am planning to make it open source code.
I never did such a thing before. Once I finish with my mid term exams (very soon), I'll start looking into it, and set it up.

GoodBytes

So the SP3's screen can be shutoff when its connected to an external monitor. Maybe create some of windows script that will trick Windows into thinking that it is connected to another monitor and shut off the primary screen. Seems nutty that there isnt a way to shut off the darn screen. Every tablet I know of has this ability.
The problem is that I don't have a SP3. I have a SP2 only.

r0b123

I tried to run to Power Monitor program on my SP3 and had the same result as landy. I get the error message that says "Invalid or corrupted 'system.dll' file. Reinstall the software to correct the problem." Also tried reinstall and restart. Visual C++ was already installed on my system by some unknown process - when I try to install the redistributable, it says it is already installed and wants to either uninstall or repair the existing installation.

Same story for me on my SP3. Verified I had the latest Visual C++ redistributables x64 and no luck.

powermonitor invalid or corrupted system file.PNG

I ran it and got the error "Missing system.dll" file. I clearly see the file when I unzip the file, so ... well... yeah... I appreciate your efforts.