Two-button shutdown question

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 4' started by wynand32, Apr 1, 2016.

1. wynand32

wynand32 Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Okay, this one has me stumped. On my SP3, the two-button shutdown process worked as expected--hold power + volume up for long enough, the system shut completely down and I could then restart.

On my SP4, however, when I do power + volume up, the UEFI settings screen comes up. I can't seem to get it to shut all the way down.

Anybody else see this, and have a way to perform the full shutdown?

2. Aldec

Aldec Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Click on Power button and choose Shutdown, or you can choose Restart, couldn't be simpler.

3. wynand32

wynand32 Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I'm referring to the two-button shutdown that's a more "complete" shutdown and that Microsoft often recommends to resolve issues.

4. Aldec

Aldec Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Only needed when you need to do a hard reset, a complete lockup for example when Ctr+Alt+Del has no effect, or not being able to launch Task Manager to kill App.

5. wynand32

wynand32 Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Actually, if you read Microsoft's various support resources, they recommend a hard reset (two-button shutdown) for any number of reasons. In my own experience, it can fix all kinds of things that a normal shutdown doesn't resolve.

In any case, I'm not trying to debate what it's good for. I'm trying to figure out why it's not working as expected on my SP4. If anyone is seeing the same thing or has any idea how to get it to work correctly, that would be much appreciated.

6. ScottyS

ScottyS Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    If you have Fast Shut Down enabled (and I think it may be enabled by default) then a Start Menu/Power/Shut Down is not a real reboot. Fast Shut Down is really a hybrid Hibernate/Shut Down. Restart does do a complete shutdown and then reboot.

I always thought holding to power button down > 15 second was like pulling the power plug on a desktop computer, killing everything without Windows really shutting down (necessary if something is stuck and even Ctl+Alt+Del doesn't work).

I copied this from somewhere:
    How To Access BIOS or UEFI
    Press and hold in Volume Up button then press power

But
    I also have this from somewhere:
    2-button reboot procedure: press and hold the volume up button for at least 15 seconds, then press power button while still holding the volume up, and then release the volume up and it will start.

Which I looked at as a forced shutdown (like when it's stuck in some deep sleep mode but not really off).