What's new

two keyboard keys will not respond

Davenporrt

Got two keyboards for my Surface 2; touch and type. The touch works fine but the type keyboard: 1 key and the X key will not respond.

OP
D

Davenporrt

Wondering if I could remap the keys? Assing key 1 and key X to two other keys that I almost never use. Is there an app for this that I can download?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Debris on the Surface 2 side of your is likely the culprit.
Clean and blow out as possible.

Borrow somebody else's keyboard for a moment, or try one in a shop somewhere.
- If it fails, you should do a "Refresh"
- If the "Refresh" fails, you should do a "Reset"
- If the "Reset" fails, you should do a "Return".

OP
D

Davenporrt

Thank you for your comments. My touch keyboard works fine so it is just the type keyboard with the 2 unresponsive keys. Clean and blow out?
I assume that means using a can of compressed air? I once watched a youtube video clip where a person used a straw to blow on the keys. I thought maybe that would get the keys a little moist.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Davenporrt

Things to try:

Turn that keyboard upside down and rap it many times with your fingers. You might lodge something loose. Because the keys apparently never respond, even to repeated pressing, the keys are probably not at fault. If debris were under the key action itself, the keys would likely work sometimes.

It is okay to blow with your mouth around those keys. Don't do it after eating or drinking anything. Keep it short. The keyboard is meant to be able to withstand some degree of moisture, as it is near your hands, anyway.

Clean the keyboard contacts on the magnetic strip with alcohol or some "lens wipes". Do not use towelettes meant for hands, or soap-based, or ammonia cleaners.

Also, you may use a real rubber pencil eraser to erase the contacts.

More drastic:
Turn on a hot bathroom shower. Let the room steam up. Allow your Type Cover to be nearby for a few minutes. Exposes it to some mist. Then relocate the keyboard to a much drier atmosphere for 30 minutes or so, such as the outdoor cold, or inside a freezer bag with some rice in it. This procedure is like a wash of residue.

OP
D

Davenporrt

Thanks again for the advice. I appreciated it. I am thinking of remapping my keyboard. Is there an app for Windows RT?