What's new

type cover 2 lights up randomly "normal?"

bertopl

I got a type cover 2 for my SP1 and like it a lot. however, the keyboard lights up randomly when I'm nowhere near touching / using it. is this normal for this keyboard?

CrippsCorner

Probably something to do with the sensor. Have you tried turning the Surface off, taking it off and reconnecting? Also make sure you have the latest firmware updates.

daniielrp

Doesn't sound normal, pretty sure the proximity sensor only has a range of about 10cm. Not noticed this with mine, only seems to come one when I get pretty close to it.

OP
bertopl

bertopl

thanks for the feedback. I've tried rebooting, turning on / off, connecting / reconnecting so I guess it's time to swap 'er out

joudbren

This happens to my Type 2 from day 1 as well. I haven't been able to figure it out but it doesn't seem to harm anything. I'm also wondering as well if it's some sort of sensor that's a little schizophrenic. I took it back to our local Microsoft store and they didn't have a clue. I'm not sure swapping anything out will help as I did get them to swap the keyboard and no difference. A few days later I took back my Surface Pro 2 128 and bought a 256gb version instead. Keyboard backlight behaviour didn't change.

I was hoping the latest MS firmware update would help as I believe it also updated the keyboard firmware but so far I haven't noticed any change. I haven't really been paying attention though and I suspect it may be a firmware or software fix down the road to adjust the behaviour. Cheers!

Ruffles

Mine does this as well. It's not often though. Where is the sensor that the keyboard uses?