What's new

Type Cover backlight auto dim ?

Sven

Hi all

I notice that the backlighting on the new SP3 type cover autodims when left alone for a short period of inactivity - even whilst say, reading a webpage, it will dim before your eyes.

This appears to be a non-user configurable setting, even when plugged into AC power.

Is this normal behaviour ?

It would be fine if this were a power saving feature when on battery, but for AC it's downright irritating.

r0b123

I agree 100%, I find this annoying and coming from a Mac, its nice to have the keyboard constantly lit unless I turn it off. I've looked under Power management settings for this under Win8 and now using Win10 TP and still no Surface/type cover backlight settings.

I submitted feedback on this awhile ago so we'll see if they add this for Windows 10.

OP
S

Sven

I agree 100%, I find this annoying and coming from a Mac, its nice to have the keyboard constantly lit unless I turn it off. I've looked under Power management settings for this under Win8 and now using Win10 TP and still no Surface/type cover backlight settings.

I submitted feedback on this awhile ago so we'll see if they add this for Windows 10.

+1 million !

Surface team please take note. User feedback - this one makes a whole lot of sense.

PCAnyWhere

I just experienced this on a dark flight last night. my keyboard kept on turning off so I couldn't see it to type. I had to tape a neutral key like CTRL or an arrow to get it to come back to life.

dstrauss

I just experienced this on a dark flight last night. my keyboard kept on turning off so I couldn't see it to type. I had to tape a neutral key like CTRL or an arrow to get it to come back to life.

Mine comes back on as soon as my fingers get close to the keyboard - like an auto-sensor - do you have to tap a key to get it to come back on?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine comes back on as soon as my fingers get close to the keyboard - like an auto-sensor - do you have to tap a key to get it to come back on?

I do not have this ability (disclaimer, windows 10). For me i just brush the trackpad and it pops back on. Not the end of the world for me.