What's new

type cover confusion

oion

Yes in the sense of keyboard style, though I believe the "power cover" won't be available until early 2014.

Dim-Ize

oion is correct.

In addition to the Power Cover due in 2014 (which is thicker than the current Type Cover 1 as well as the newly announced Type Cover 2), Microsoft demonstrated the Type Cover 2, which is an upgraded Type Cover attachment for the Surface Pro 2 tablet. It is thinner as a whole millimeter has been shaven off, but it isn't any less functional. In fact, the Type Cover 2 is silent and sports a backlight. It will be available in purple, pink, blue, and black. I pre-ordered a black one incidentally, and will likely explore the Power Cover in stores when available. The Power cover will also be compatible with Surface Pro 1 - and as oion mentioned is not yet available for pre-order.

OP
U

ultra99

wow, the pre-order starts to ship Oct. 29 and the Power Cover sometime next year? That way far! I hate my touch cover and causing me frustrations! I was so looking forward to the Power Cover. And yet, the type2 is still expensive.

oion

You could look for a Type 1, whether open box at a store or discounted on auction or elsewhere. I'm also disappointed that the power cover would be released next year; I think it would've made much more sense particularly with the much shorter generation length of SPro1 to release the battery cover at the same time as SPro2 and Surface 2. Oh well...

CrippsCorner

wow, the pre-order starts to ship Oct. 29 and the Power Cover sometime next year? That way far! I hate my touch cover and causing me frustrations! I was so looking forward to the Power Cover. And yet, the type2 is still expensive.

The Power Cover is going to be even more expensive...

mitchellvii

If Microsoft could get their heads out of their butts on pricing they might actually make some money on Surface. $200 for the battery type cover? Are they insane? I could buy an entire functioning high quality tablet for less. Are they trying to tell us there is anywhere even remotely close to $200 worth of costs in a battery cover?

Dell is going to eat Microsoft's lunch by offering better products for less at every single turn. The new XPS 11 is going to cost $200 less than a comparably equipped Surface Pro 2. By comparable I mean the XPS 11 will be a far superior device, for less.

Last edited:

oion

Is the battery Type cover going to be a lot heavier than the normal cover?

Noticeably, since we're talking about gluing a battery that gives several hours' worth of juice. I believe it's supposed to be about 1 lb (double the Type).

KDA617D

My type cover has a problem - the letter 'y' is produced on screen by pressing the letter 'z' I would appreciate help with this 'mystery'! FTB