What's new

Type Cover getting dirty easily

unruledboy

It was a poor choice of textile -- common sense sort of dictates you wouldn't cover a laptop with felt -- yet that's exactly what Microsoft did by making the back of the keyboard felt. Someone suggested at another site that products designed to clean felt pool tables might work -- that seems kind of involved...

maybe they want to mimic the look and feel of a real note book

mwsvette

On the felt back I use a lint roller the front I use a warm damp cloth. Both my black touch and type covers are felt on the back vinyl on the front, but my white touch cover is vinyl on both sides. It is much easier to clean. I wish the others were the like that...

LanzHeim

it would be nice to see some dirty pictures ;) of thettype covers on all colors. Would you mind sharing them. I'm really hesitant about the color I'll buy.
I'm a blue person XD but as I don't live in the US and I asked a friend who traveled to Boston to get the SP3 and the type cover. So he'll buy them on the Boston Microsoft Store, therefore it will be very unlikely to get the dark blue edition. I don't like the cyan one because it's too light and it will get dirty easily. I think the red one looks really sexy and manly but I'm concerned about it getting dirty quickly as the OP said.
The purple got Me thinking, I've looked on YouTube and other images and I still don't know if it's a dark purple or a light violet, sometimes it looks girly and some other it looks dark blue-ish that is really cool.
black doesn't convince me because it's not black but a "dark" gray.
So help me out to decide by posting how dirty the colors get.

it would be nice to see some dirty pictures ;) of thettype covers on all colors. Would you mind sharing them. I'm really hesitant about the color I'll buy.
I'm a blue person XD but as I don't live in the US and I asked a friend who traveled to Boston to get the SP3 and the type cover. So he'll buy them on the Boston Microsoft Store, therefore it will be very unlikely to get the dark blue edition. I don't like the cyan one because it's too light and it will get dirty easily. I think the red one looks really sexy and manly but I'm concerned about it getting dirty quickly as the OP said.
The purple got Me thinking, I've looked on YouTube and other images and I still don't know if it's a dark purple or a light violet, sometimes it looks girly and some other it looks dark blue-ish that is really cool.
black doesn't convince me because it's not black but a "dark" gray.
So help me out to decide by posting how dirty the colors get.

Just go to any Best Buy and look at the display models - generally, the lighter color type covers end up looking horrible - cyan is the worst. The darker the type cover the better. From what I've seen, I'd order them Cyan > Red > Dark Blue > Purple > Black in terms of dirtiest / cleanest looking over time.

DeltaXray

I have a cyan cover. I've been able to keep the keys looking clean but only by having a microfiber cloth to hand and cleaning it several times a day or whenever I see oil marks building up and giving it a wipe before it dries. It is so prone to getting dirty that cleaning it has started getting a bit obsessive.

Then there is the felt side. It has been getting quite dirty where the cover meets the desk. I visit different client sites and can't exactly clean each desk before I use it. I have not dated use soapy water to clean it yet but it does need something doing soon.

They probably made these out of the worst materials possible.

LanzHeim

So the best second color is purple in terms of not looking too dirty over time eh... maybe I'll go purple, but as I said, I don't live in the US so going to best buy and see the type covers is not an option, that's why I want to see pictures of the dirty type covers.

bluegrass

Didn't anyone catch mwsvette saying he had a white SP3 keyboard with vinyl on the back. I've never seen a SP3 keyboard. Has anybody else seen a white keyboard. Not that I would want a white one, but I would love it if mine was not the soft and cuddly felt. You sure don't want a cat to get near it.

LanzHeim

Didn't anyone catch mwsvette saying he had a white SP3 keyboard with vinyl on the back. I've never seen a SP3 keyboard. Has anybody else seen a white keyboard. Not that I would want a white one, but I would love it if mine was not the soft and cuddly felt. You sure don't want a cat to get near it.

I think he was referring to the SP1 white touch cover.