What's new

Type Cover issues after 1.5 years

girarcat

Hi!

I’ve had my SP2 for one and a half years. Until now, every time I lifted the Surface from the table, the type cover automatically disabled so that you can fold it back and grab it comfortably without having to take care not to press any key.

However, today I noticed that the type cover now gets disconnected too early: If I lift the computer 1 inch from the desk, the keyboard gets disconnected immediately. And what’s worse, now when placing the Surface level again, the keyboard will not reconnect. The only way I can have it connected again is by folding it against the screen. When it overcomes a determined angle, it will switch on again (I see the keyboard lighting turning on). Then I can place it level again and keep on working. However if I just lift the Surface again a little bit (for example to move it around the table), it will disconnect again.

Do you think that’s one of the endless software/firmware issues or maybe the type cover has some sort of hardware problem? (I’ve cleaned up the keyboard connections to no avail).

It looks like the accelerometer that senses the keyboard position to switch it on/off has gone crazy (firmware issue) or the keyboard connections are faulty, which would be an expensive hardware issue.

What do you reckon?

Thanks!

malberttoo

Hi!

I’ve had my SP2 for one and a half years. Until now, every time I lifted the Surface from the table, the type cover automatically disabled so that you can fold it back and grab it comfortably without having to take care not to press any key.

However, today I noticed that the type cover now gets disconnected too early: If I lift the computer 1 inch from the desk, the keyboard gets disconnected immediately. And what’s worse, now when placing the Surface level again, the keyboard will not reconnect. The only way I can have it connected again is by folding it against the screen. When it overcomes a determined angle, it will switch on again (I see the keyboard lighting turning on). Then I can place it level again and keep on working. However if I just lift the Surface again a little bit (for example to move it around the table), it will disconnect again.

Do you think that’s one of the endless software/firmware issues or maybe the type cover has some sort of hardware problem? (I’ve cleaned up the keyboard connections to no avail).

It looks like the accelerometer that senses the keyboard position to switch it on/off has gone crazy (firmware issue) or the keyboard connections are faulty, which would be an expensive hardware issue.

What do you reckon?

Thanks!

My guess, and only a guess, is that the sensor in the cover is going bad.

GoodBytes

Yea. My TypeCover 2 sensor crapped out. It only works if my device is 90 degree from the keyboard. If I put it on the first or second position of the kickstand of my Surface Pro 2, it stops working. It acts like I have the keyboard flipped on the back.

It also happen to be 1.5 years on my side. I need to contact Microsoft Support. I hope Microsoft Complete that I got covers this.

:(

OP
G

girarcat

Thanks for the reply.
Where exactly is the sensor?
In my case, it is quickly getting worse. Now I cannot even make it work when leaving the Surface on a desk. The Type Cover will only reconnect when reaching a very specific angle. Any other angle than this one will prevent it from working.
I think it looks like an electrical problem. The issue seems to be in the hinge of the keyboard, 'cause shaking and pressing this area will momentarily turn it on, to be disconnected again when decreasing the pressure.

I don't have the extended warranty, but I think in my country it is compulsory to offer at least 2 years of warranty, so I'll give it a shot. I didn't buy it from a Microsoft Store but from a computers shop. Where should I complain? Directly from MS or maybe first I should adress the shop where I bought it?
Thanks!

EDIT: I think my situation now is exactly the same as GoodBytes' because I've noticed that at 90º it works, but when using the kickstand it fails again.
I guess the only solution is a new type cover?

GoodBytes

The sensor is in the Type Cover. Probably where the middle mark at the top, next to the plug is located at. (just my guess)
In my case, I have my credit card adding an extra year warranty, so I might try this if it is not covered under the warranty.
My biggest concern is finding a Type Cover 2....

You can reach Microsoft Surface support.
https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support
Sign-in at the top, and fill the form bellow, and you should end up with teh ability to chat with someone, and if available in your country talk to someone.

Jasmine

I'm suddenly having issues as well. I came on here to see if anyone else is having them.

My "A" key has been acting odd for a while (and I've had an issue where the type cover restarts my surface for over a year), but now my type cover is right-clicking by itself. The backlight keys are dimmer than they used to be and they also dim by themselves.... including the light on the caps key. And the keyboard is also disconnecting more than it ever used to.

Yours does sound like it could be a hardware issue, but I suppose it could also be software related as well since mine is disconnecting too.

GoodBytes

Here you are a video of my problem.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6D2997E7A6E7AB25!13271&authkey=!AMyQtr4V3oHjtxw&ithint=video,mp4
I think a software issue can be ruled out, cant it?

Oh, in your case, it seams to be the wiring inside the keyboard that connects to the connector, that is of course, I assume, you tried to clean the connector and Surface Pro connectors as it could be something in between the 2. To be is looks like a hardware problem. The best way to check, is to go to the UEFI setup screen, and see if the problem is there. This is outside of Windows environment. If the problem is gone, then it is a software issue, you can try a system refresh )backup your stuff before, because all will be gone), if the issue persists, then it is a hardware issue.

OP
G

girarcat

Okay, I'm now in the UEFI Setup Screen. What you meant is that I just go to that screen and check if the type cover works properly at that moment, right?

If that is what you meant, then the answer is no, it is not working properly. The problem's still the same, so now I can be sure it's a hardware issue, is that so?

Thanks

GoodBytes

Okay, I'm now in the UEFI Setup Screen. What you meant is that I just go to that screen and check if the type cover works properly at that moment, right?
Correct. I know that you have no where to type and do things really, but see if the back light behaves properly, and that the arrow keys up and down works. You can tap with your finger on the screen on "Exit Setup" to leave, and it will start Windows right after.

If that is what you meant, then the answer is no, it is not working properly. The problem's still the same, so now I can be sure it's a hardware issue, is that so?
That is correct, it is a hardware issue in your case. Because, at the UEFI screen, you have nothing. There is no Windows, there is no nothing. Just a screen to setup the system. It's role is to startup every component of your system, detect everything, find the operating system installed (Windows in our case), and provide the system information to it, for it to do it's magic and be able to, well, operate your system, hence the name: operating system.
The UEFI does have drivers, that is how the touch screen works and if you have a mouse, show you a cursor on the screen which you can move, and such, but those are built-in the UEFI itself, and shouldn't be touch since the manufacture release of your Surface Pro 2. So if it worked before, it should work now, if not, something is wrong, as you are seeing now.