What's new

Type cover not being recognised.

emma_king

Around Christmas my type cover began to have problems being connected and I would have to disconnect it and reconnect it or sometimes restart my sp3 to get it working again. Then it stopped working all together. The only thing that I havent tried to do myself is do a factory reset. I have also tried buying a new trype cover and the new one wouldnt be recognised as a device and work either.

ScottyS

Sounds just like what I have too. It worked after the System Firmware Update - ‎1/‎19/‎2016 for a few days and (after another update) stopped again.
Haven't tried a reset yet, but I'm not sure that will un-do a firmware change.

PCAnyWhere

I was just about to post a question about this. I have a SP3 and was happily using the SP3 Type Cover; until the SP4 new Type Cover came out and got rave reviews. So I snatched one up and in the last 2 months I have experienced situations where when the screen is locked (power connected) or when I purposely put it to sleep with the power button (power may be connected but also not). Upon return the keyboard is unresponsive. I have found that disconnecting it and reconnecting it does the trick most of the time but there is some delay before it is recognized. I did one short test with my old SP3 type cover and it appeared to resolve it; but it was a limited test and I need to do a longer term one.

Telstar1948

Don't know about the SP4 cover situation, but my SP3 had stopped recognizing the SP3 type cover. Took both to Best Buy. Tried a different type cover with my SP3 and tried my type cover with a different SP3. My type cover worked fine with other SP3's, but my SP3 wouldn't recognize any type cover. It was a SP3 hardware problem that just happened one day out of the blue. Exchanged the SP3 through MS and that replacement is working fine with my original type cover.

OP
E

emma_king

I was just about to post a question about this. I have a SP3 and was happily using the SP3 Type Cover; until the SP4 new Type Cover came out and got rave reviews. So I snatched one up and in the last 2 months I have experienced situations where when the screen is locked (power connected) or when I purposely put it to sleep with the power button (power may be connected but also not). Upon return the keyboard is unresponsive. I have found that disconnecting it and reconnecting it does the trick most of the time but there is some delay before it is recognized. I did one short test with my old SP3 type cover and it appeared to resolve it; but it was a limited test and I need to do a longer term one.
Disconnecting and reconnecting my type cover used to work, but after the second update it stopped working.

ScottyS

I just had to do a full reset (back to factory condition) and that did not fix the type cover no working.
Everybody who's reporting this problem noticed it around Christmas time; I'm convinced it was a firmware update that did it in.