What's new

Solved Type Cover not working

DavidHaynes

I updated by SP3 to WIN10, and the 1/19/16 update applied. Usually I have my SP3 in a dock and USB keyboard, but yesterday I was planning a trip and using by surface type cover. It doesn't work now.
1. Did all updates
2. Unistalled devices, and allowed windows to find them.
3. Does not work with either SP3 or SP4 type cover.

I am sure I am just missing a step.

David

ScottyS

This is indeed odd. My Type Cover 3 stopped working after an update about 1-2 months ago (I think after a Microsoft keyboard and mouse update or some other update that came around the same time) and the 1/19/16 update fixed it.

henryn

What is happening to me is similar. I occasionally needed to reattach it. Try restarting you Surface, that seems to have improved my situation a lot.

bluegrass

I just setup a new SP3 with Windows 10 pre-installed. I did the updates right away which included the version 1511 and several others. I setup the system with a docking station and a wireless keyboard and mouse and connected to a monitor.

Everything went smooth until the person came to my desk to pick it up. I wanted show her a few things and when I went to instruct her on a few things, the computer didn't recognize the keyboard cover. I went through the normal things any tech would do with no help. I finally went and got another new keyboard cover and it worked.

This person is deployed and lives out of town. I got a call from her the next day. When she got home and started to use the Surface it didn't recognize the keyboard. Sure hope this isn't a new problem with Surface Pro 3s caused by an update.

ScottyS

The 1/19/16 firmware update fixed my type cover from not working, but today I got my first BSOD (POWER_DRIVER_STATE_FAILURE) and since the type cover has not been working again.:mad:

Right now yet another "Cumulative Win10 update" is downloading. Would be nice if MS would send a fix to fix the fix.o_O

OP
DavidHaynes

DavidHaynes

I ended up going back to a restore point before the 1/19/16 update. I then made sure I attached the Type Cover, then updated. That worked.