Type Cover not working

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 4' started by davea66, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Milanyo

Milanyo New Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Hello everyone! I am using a Surface Pro 2017. To address this problem, the Microsoft contact center worked with me to reset the computer. It worked after that. When I detached the cover again to use the unit on tablet mode, and I re-attached the cover after, it will not work again. I re-started, still not working. I shut down, and re-started it worked.

The agent suggested that I return the unit. Unfortunately, I am out of the USA now. I am now afraid to remove the cover. This defeats the purpose of buying a Surface Pro. If this is a software issue, will returning the unit solve this?

Any one out there with the same issue?

2. davea66

davea66 New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    My typecover, on SP4, had this intermittent type problem.
    Microsoft got me to send it back for replacement, and the replacement works fine.
    So, in the end, faulty TypeCover. No problems since!

3. martyboy

martyboy New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Hi , I received a new typecover ( the one with backlit keys ) to replace an older model . When I tried to use it a number of keys did not function so I tried to return for a replacement but the retailer only had fingerprint scan keyboards in stock so i got a refund. I purchased another typecover from a different retailer and this one also has keys that do not function , namely the z,x,c and v . My older typecover still functions . Is this just really bad luck or is there an underlying problem with the newer typecovers. I have been unable as yet to return the latest cover as I have been away from home . Has anyone else had these sort of issues.

4. Omaru73

Omaru73 New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    anyone have any news about keyboard?? how we can fix it up??

5. hatuey

hatuey New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Hello,

What happens to me:

My Surface Pro 4 (SP4) has a video issue that make the screen to flick. Searching in the Microsoft site, I found that I should download/install Surface Diagnostic Tool.

When running it, it ask to create a Restore Point, ok. It runs all the test/fixed.

After this, the video stop flickering BUT the Type Cover stop working (it works in the UEFi!).

My Windows is up-to-date (Windows version 1709).

I followed many tips found around the internet (including this forum):

- delete the drivers in the Device Manager, reset;
    - hard button shutdown;
    - hard button shutdown, two button (volume up + Power for 15 seconds) on;
    - turn off/on the Type Cover in the Device section of UEFI;
    - download the latest drivers from Microsoft site;
    - tried to Restore to a point created by the Surface Diagnostic Tool, but the restoration was unsuccessfully;
    - hard button shutdown, two button (volume up + Power for more than 15 seconds) to got the Recovery options. In this screen I selected to made a recovery from a restore point, but the SP complains that there isn't a restore point.

Somewhere I read that this is a problem of the Firmware. As the Type Cover works in the UEFi, I found this very strange (my UEFi is 108.1926.769).

Any ideas?

Note 1: the SP is not commercially available in Brazil, so, nothing about Microsoft Stores.
    Note 2: I tried to talk to someone in the Microsoft Costume Support, but as the warranty of SP is off, I couldn't.