What's new

Type cover opinions

vsherry

What do you guys think of the type cover for the Surface? IMO, it's overrated. I have warmed to it after initially finding it flimsy, but I have a $50 Bluetooth keyboard that is far sturdier and is better for typing. I make more errors on this than that. I really don't think the type cover stands up to a decent budget laptop keyboard.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
No it won't, but a laptop keyboard isn't a cover for the surface as well. IMO it's very well designed for what it does which is provide a cover that can be "always on" the surface and also contains a functional keyboard. I think as a cover the keyboard cover works pretty well, it's thin enough not to be a burden (though of course a non-keyboard cover would be thinner) and doesn't add much weight/size to the surface or preclude it's portability, while also offering a good typing experience, with to-be-honest pretty decent key travel considering the thickness of it. A normal keyboard will of course be better, but a normal keyboard doesn't have the dual function that the type-cover does.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using it for so long that I can barely type on anything but the cover. When I use another keyboard I make so many mistakes. The Type Cover 3 is vastly better than Gen2 which were vastly better than Gen1.

I weird that I actually enjoy using the Trackpad as well....

kristalsoldier

I've been using it for so long that I can barely type on anything but the cover. When I use another keyboard I make so many mistakes. The Type Cover 3 is vastly better than Gen2 which were vastly better than Gen1.

I weird that I actually enjoy using the Trackpad as well....

Now that IS weird! :)

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ha ha, I only use the trackpad when I have to as I always touch the screen otherwise. The only time I have to use the trackpad is for precise selections (or when I'm not using the pen as well). I've got so used to interacting with the touchscreen that when I go back to my work Lenovo laptop I keep prodding the screen and expecting it to do something!!

I like the keyboard cover, I don't feel the need for anything else and find the typing experience fine, if a bit "clickity clack" on it. I do like that it's backlit, mad really when the keyboard on my husbands £600 ASUS laptop is NOT backlit, which is a right pain when I use it in the dark often to control lighting at discos, the past couple of times I've actually used the surface instead as I prefer it!

OP
V

vsherry

I edit documents for a living, so I use the trackpad. I will admit that the Surface did make me accidentally touch the screen on my MacBook Pro once. Fail.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I edit documents for a living, so I use the trackpad. I will admit that the Surface did make me accidentally touch the screen on my MacBook Pro once. Fail.

LOL, it's funny that it takes a few prods before you realise isn't it.... DOH. I actually find I use the keyboard less than the pen, but that's due to the way I mostly use my surface. I could almost live without the keyboard... but not quite as I do use it on occasion for more intense stuff and it's much better than the onscreen keyboard.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely love it. For any serious work i have to plug in a mouse (but that is true with any laptop for me, hate touch pads) but for typing, i adore it. Im no stranger to spending money on keybosrds, i own 2 dinovo edges and a dinovo mini), and now im used to the size, i would buy the typecover again without hesitation.

Nuspieds

The Type Cover is absolutely perfect for me when I'm mobile. I do not want to carry an extra accessory for keyboard or cover; with the Type Cover, I have both in one accessory.

As someone who types a lot, of course I much prefer a full-size keyboard--but that's what I use when I am docked/in Desktop mode. But although I am happy with the Type Cover, I do look forward to the day when there are third-party alternatives.