What's new

Type cover opinions

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be honest, the keyboard does not feel any bouncy or springy to me. If you type in a way that applies a lot of pressure when typing and a lot of impulse force (for example if you come from a background of old IBM keyboards), you may feel such things, but if you lightly touch the keys (which for me feels natural and also speeds up typing) the keyboard will not feel bouncy at all.

This is true, as people type in many different ways, I'm nearly a touch typer, in that I can type without looking at my hands and nearly following the conventions of typists (though not 100% right lol!) and I don't generally apply that much pressure to the keyboard. That's not to say anyone who finds the type cover terrible is a bad typist... dont' get me wrong, it's just perhaps I have more tolerance/the way I type causes less bounce, I dunno and perhaps because I'm not a major keyboard user (usually my main typing is for things like this post...lol) I don't use it for sustained enough time for it to be a problem for me.

But I did have a boss who used to two finger type and bang his keyboards so hard that they'd stop working properly. I once tried typing on his keyboard and couldn't get some of the keys to work properly and he said "oh you have that problem too..." LOL. He was terrible I always felt sorry for his keyboards!!

Last edited:

InspectHerGadget

I find the keyboard feel reasonable enough. Unless I was typing a long report it is fine.

My only major annoyance has been the cursor jumping, deleting text. This has happened to both me using a Surface RT, Surface 2 , SP2/3 and my wife who uses the Surface 2. I wish Microsoft would just fix it.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The Type Cover is so much better with some bling from Stickerboy. The stickers change the 'creepy' felt into a clean (and washable)
texture. The trackpad works much better, too.

coverwithstickerboy.jpg

coverwithstickerboy_back.jpg

RémiM

The original material is pretty well washable. I use baby wipes. It works well, smells good and rehydrates the cover..............

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My opinion is use what you like. Type Cover, Bluetooth Keyboard, USB wireless keyboard/mouse.
Although I'm not a fan of Bluetooth keyboards in general to me it seems the USB wireless ones just work better. Where I have experienced flaky problems with Bluetooth devices you pair to another device I have had really good experiences with USB wireless devices. Not sure why that is because AFAIK its essentially the same technology except that maybe its because the USB dongle and Keyboard/mouse were designed to work together so there's a better match.

Id like to see a 3rd party Surface keyboard n mouse combo that uses the keyboard connector as the point of attachment for the wireless dongle, something that attaches magnetically, is slim and long, that hugs the Surface. :) Which would in my opinion avoid the conflict between Bluetooth and WiFi inherent in the Marvell Chipset.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... I'd like to see a 3rd party Surface keyboard n mouse combo that uses the keyboard connector as the point of attachment for the wireless dongle, something that attaches magnetically, is slim and long, that hugs the Surface ...

You're onto something there.

kundas1

I find the type cover a pleasure to type on, its the touchpad that I find not too good, and who ever said the type cover bounces too much and is flimsy is typing away on it WAAY TOO HARD! I'm a heavy typer and I find the type cover to be very firm and supportive...

Telstar1948

I'm into the type cover. I can use it all day long. I realize a lot of what we prefer to type on is simply what we've gotten used to, but, frankly, the type cover offers a larger keyboard than the BT keyboard I use when I have the SP3 docked with external monitors, speakers, mouse, scanner etc. I can't position the SP3 with type cover in a spot where I can easily use the type cover when the SP3 is docked, or I would use it in place of the BT keyboard. I don't find the type cover to be bouncy and I love having it where I can simply flip it up over the screen when I want to carry it to a new location, or put it in its padded sleeve. My only dislike of the type cover is the touch pad. I don't mind using touch pads, but I've been spoiled by superb Apple touch pads. I use the type cover touch pad when my SP3 isn't docked, but it has a certain built-in irritation factor when the cursor/pointer jumps when removing your finger, or many times selecting text ends up becoming a hassle. I don't want to carry another "thing" such as a small mouse with me to always have to mess with when I'm out and about so I just put up with the touch pad...but I'm never going to love the touch pad.

Nys299

What do you guys think of the type cover for the Surface? IMO, it's overrated. I have warmed to it after initially finding it flimsy, but I have a $50 Bluetooth keyboard that is far sturdier and is better for typing. I make more errors on this than that. I really don't think the type cover stands up to a decent budget laptop keyboard.

Personally I think the Surface Pro 3 Type Cover is an almost perfect keyboard, broad keys, nice depression for quick typing, doubles up as a cover, does not weigh a lot.
One gigantic flaw though: It is not bluetooth. For $130, I expected it to be bluetooth so that I can use my surface Pro 3 in Portrait mode or I prefer my surface pro to be further away from the keyboard. That just sucks.