What's new

Type Cover Serial Number

StockDC2

Hello, I recently purchased a second hand Surface Pro 3 and received a defective touch cover. I'd like to see if there's any warranty remaining on the cover but am having trouble locating the serial number. Microsoft's website shows that it should be on the spine but for some odd reason, mine does not have anything imprinted on it. Are all covers like this or is mine potentially a knock off? Thanks.

bluegrass

I didn't know that touch covers from earlier Surface models were even compatible with the Surface 3. I'll try one of my older Surface touch covers and see if it woks on the SP3. As for as serial numbers, I doubt that there is any. I just looked at my SP3 type cover and it didn't have anything on it but the word Surface.

Incidentally, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll get a lot of great information from the users on this forum.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
All keyboards covers should work on all Surfaces regardless of size. some have serial numbers closer to the center just right of the key rather than on the right edge of the spine.

Aegeas

The serial number is in the middle of the spine near the plastic lugs that center the keyboard in place. If you don't have a serial number I would be very concerned if the Type Cover were authentic.

OP
S

StockDC2

Uh oh, I don't have a serial number anywhere on the cover. I've tried looking for fakes but I can't seem to find one online. Maybe it's one of the earlier ones?

daniielrp

Uh oh, I don't have a serial number anywhere on the cover. I've tried looking for fakes but I can't seem to find one online. Maybe it's one of the earlier ones?

Nope, any earlier ones would have been for the Surface Pro 1 or 2 therefore 10" in size, not the 12" of the SP3 cover.

On mine it is printed on the plastic to the right of the magnetic connector.

lparsons21

Try a chat with MS. I know the original type and power covers didn't have serial numbers at all and I suspect yours doesn't either.

I went through chat with them when I had a bad type cover and they replaced with no problems.

daniielrp

Try a chat with MS. I know the original type and power covers didn't have serial numbers at all and I suspect yours doesn't either.

I went through chat with them when I had a bad type cover and they replaced with no problems.

I had to get an old cover replaced and they didn't even ask for the serial number. As it is still less than 12 month since the SP3 launched, there isn't really a need to check as they'll all be in warranty.

lparsons21

I had to get an old cover replaced and they didn't even ask for the serial number. As it is still less than 12 month since the SP3 launched, there isn't really a need to check as they'll all be in warranty.

When I did mine the tech told me that the number I thought was a serial number was actually the product number and that the covers didn't have serial numbers.

OP
S

StockDC2

When I did mine the tech told me that the number I thought was a serial number was actually the product number and that the covers didn't have serial numbers.

I hope this is the case with my cover.

Anywho, I've contacted Microsoft via their chat and phone services and not only does it take FOREVER to get a representative to assist you, they refer you to their website which is of very little help. First and last Microsoft product for me!

Grumpy2

The serial number is on the spine just to the right of the connector. On mine it is almost impossible to see. I had to use a magnifying class under a powerful light. Trust that helps.