What's new

Solved Type cover stopped working

cemian

hey everyone
My type cover just suddenly stopped working.... Usually I disconnect and reconnect and it is fine with occasional reboot necessary but nothing works this time.... Pins look ok and not aware of any new updates.... Any ideas??
Thanks

kundas1

try un-installing the drivers then reboot and then connect the KB and let your SP3 re-install it and it should work afterwards

OP
C

cemian

try un-installing the drivers then reboot and then connect the KB and let your SP3 re-install it and it should work afterwards

Thanks for the suggestion however after uninstalling both the keyboard and mouse drivers a few times and restarting they reappear in device manager but type cover still unresponsive...I read another suggestion to try a hard boot...holding the volume up and pressing power button at same time for 15 seconds and that actually did the trick...i'm just surprised it does work now after all of the banging it took trying to get it to turn on :)

Last edited:

talon90

I had the same issue come up last weekend. I have had some random stops in the past year and a disconnect, reconnect has always done the trick to get the keyboard working again but this time no luck. I uninstalled, reinstalled< updated drivers, rebooted all with no luck. I finally broke down and contacted Microsoft support via a chat session. They asked a few questions and finally requested I do the hard reset with the volume up key and that brought it back and it has been fine since.

Gary Dietz

I also had this problem and after reading this thread I tried the the hard boot and it worked, thank you all

Gary

ScottyS

My type cover stopped working last month too (after an update), and none of the above helped (except I hadn't done a full reset yet, was planning to do so this weekend) and I just installed System Firmware Update - ‎1/‎19/‎2016 and now it's working again!

kristalsoldier

My type cover stopped working last month too (after an update), and none of the above helped (except I hadn't done a full reset yet, was planning to do so this weekend) and I just installed System Firmware Update - ‎1/‎19/‎2016 and now it's working again!

Hey, I just got this update too...any idea what it is all about?

ScottyS

Hey, I just got this update too...any idea what it is all about?
All I know is for over a month my type cover, auto rotate pen didn't work. I mostly have been using my SP3 connected to a monitor/keyboard/mouse but as a tablet it was pretty much crippled. I was going to do a rest this weekend. The pen turned out to be a stuck side button which I popped out with my fingernail.
But this 1/19 firmware update fixed everything else.

I found this: according to Rod Trent (WindowsIT Pro) it "is supposed to be a massive fix in a firmware update for its Surface Pro and Surface Book line."