What's new

Type cover supposed to turn on Surface Pro 3?

Inconsistency is the big deal as we don't know whether this is supposed to be a feature or not.

I think this is the problem with this device so far and why there seem to be so many complaints about an otherwise great device. Inconsistency. Whether it's the cover, inking, fans and heat, etc., there seems to be inconsistency from user to user (which is somewhat expected) and device to device. Though I've never used any of those i-devices, I get the feeling that consistency is never a problem, at least from reviews I've read. For better or worse, you know what to expect all the time.

I still think many of these problems will go away with updates, but it IS a frustration I can relate to.

daniielrp

I think this is the problem with this device so far and why there seem to be so many complaints about an otherwise great device. Inconsistency. Whether it's the cover, inking, fans and heat, etc., there seems to be inconsistency from user to user (which is somewhat expected) and device to device. Though I've never used any of those i-devices, I get the feeling that consistency is never a problem, at least from reviews I've read. For better or worse, you know what to expect all the time.

I still think many of these problems will go away with updates, but it IS a frustration I can relate to.

I agree with the Apple thing, they do have a bit more consistency, but they've been making their own computers for ever, so probably have manufacturing and Quality checks perfected, and while Microsoft have long been making hardware like keyboards and mice, they are still pretty new to the PC/tablet game.

fifl

My SP2 turns the screen on when lifting the keyboard. SP3 however doesnt. Only the lights on the keyboard

Sassi

Mine doesn't turn on when opening it he keyboard cover. I just figured that was the way it was, now I'm curious lol.

balefire

is there a way to make opening the type cover also turn on the device?

mine does the same as described here, opening the cover lights the keyboard, but requires a push of the power button to turn on.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never realised it was supposed to turn on when opened (though I did wonder if it would since my Nexus tablet does). I don't find it a big deal though as I prefer it that way than accidentally turning on in my bag which I'm fairly sure my SP3 has never done. It turns on when I touch a key or press power button though.