What's new

Poll Type covers ? are they worth it?

Should Microsoft make a touch type cover for Surface 3?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shineyhawkz

So as the title asks , Are the type covers really worth the expensive costs for the s3 ? because at the moment I just have a folding case off Amazon which has done me fine just using touch typing however I feel the need for a keyboard. I like the idea of having a type case but I am not sure I can justify the cost?

On a separate note what happened to the touch type cover? o_O

Thanks,

Shiney

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
On a separate note what happened to the touch type cover?
Id bet on it suffered it's demise due to low popularity in part because of too high a price.

I had/have a touch cover and after a short getting adjusted period it was very good comparatively and had the advantage of doing better duty as a cover.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was so impressed with the pro 3 type cover that while I'd never planned on getting one, I picked up one for my s3 without a care for the price.

Gus

I have the cover. It is great for protecting the screen when I transport it in my bag. It is nice to have it sometimes. As an example, trying to respond to a IM on Facebook is near impossible using the pop up keyboard without reducing the web page. And filling in forms where the keyboard covers the area you need to type in is a pain. Check out ebay for pricing. I found some good deals there and they can be picked up for under 90 bucks. I got the pen and mouse there for the price of the pen at Best Buy.

jrioux

I use my S3 as a laptop replacement most of the time. Can't imagine not having the type cover!
While I have the type cover for my SP3 and the touch cover for my RT, I believe that the type cover may not be worth $129 for many S3 owners. Unless they regularly use their S3 as a laptop while out and about, a $10 USB keyboard or $30-$50 bluetooth keyboard will work fine at home or in the office. Some bluetooth keyboard will also work fine while out and about. The Logitech K480 keyboard looks interesting.

Tsurugaya

I have two Type Covers, different languages, and really enjoy them both immensely. But would I like to pay that price for them? Hell to the NO. I'm just happy that I could get them with other people's money.

Johnny365

I paid about $38 for a used Red Type Cover (SP3) and it's like new condition. No need to spend $130 on the damn things

narse77

Yes. I love the type cover on my S3. I don't think I would enjoy using the device nearly as much without it.

kojack

Short answer, YES.

Long answer, YES because its awesome to have a full feature keyboard with touch pad on your S3. Its magnetic, works without fail, has backlighting and all functionality.

A surface without the type cover is just another windows tablet. The type cover makes the surface what it really is. A full blown EVERYTHING replacement.

stupops

Are they worth it No - ridiculous to spend £110 (UK) on one new. MS just make the RRP half that.
Are they needed - Yes. Why would you want a Surface without one?