What's new

Poll Type covers ? are they worth it?

Should Microsoft make a touch type cover for Surface 3?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stammie

I'd say yes any Surface device needs a typecover to get the best out of it.
However as much as I liked the Surface 3 type cover I can't believe they charge the same amount for it as the SP4 one.
Both are overpriced and I'd have to say both shouldn't be as good as they are for keyboards so small and thin, I just think now the S3 one should have a considerable price cut

This topic is one of my big pet peeves...the answer is NO, in no way does the type cover justify the outrageous cost/robbery Microsoft places on its consumers. However, the Surface without the typecover is useless. It is worth $25/$30 at most, but unfortunately the machine does not work without it...without it you have only an overspirced tablet with very few apps...with it you have the ability to read, research, write papers, answer emails, etc... Because Microsoft has outpriced themselves in this segment, competitors are starting to come out and guess what, the prices are lower and covers are included...either they will get with the program or so back to only a software/hardware company...

If you are buying the surface3 (and I highly recommend it, I cant imagine going back to having multiple devices again) definitely get the cover and the pen...both are must haves!

LRB

I bought a type cover for my S3 but returned it. It was extremely narrow and to my surprise I got used to using the onscreen touch keyboard. It sucks when editing documents and on certain websites where the keyboard covers the area you are typing in, but the type cover is not worth the extra $130 in my opinion. And aside from that, to me it's kind of an awkward add-on.

Telstar1948

Yes - for any and all Surface(s). I have (my wife has it now) a SP3 and I use a S3. Both have type covers. To me, they are essential. I also like the fact that for just carrying around, the folded type cover makes it easier to carry while protecting the Surface to some degree.

I recently purchased a faux leather cover, with pen, for a S3, and a Logitech bluetooth keyboard for less than A$100. Microsoft equivalents are A$180.

Needless to say, you know what my vote will be!