What's new

Ubuntu 16.04/10 easy installation?

Gainiac

Hey there,
since I want to start building Android roms on my Surface, I am looking for an easy way to install Ubuntu, especially 16.04 or 16.10.
Is there a way to install it without mess up everything?
Thanks in advance for your help.

garryknight

You could install the free VMWare Player, then install Ubuntu in it. It will then run as a virtual instance in a window on your desktop. I do this with Kubuntu on my desktop PC. I haven't tried it on a Surface, but I don't know any reason why it wouldn't work. Another option is Oracle's VirtualBox.

OP
Gainiac

Gainiac

You could install the free VMWare Player, then install Ubuntu in it. It will then run as a virtual instance in a window on your desktop. I do this with Kubuntu on my desktop PC. I haven't tried it on a Surface, but I don't know any reason why it wouldn't work. Another option is Oracle's VirtualBox.
Yeah, but that's no Option for me, since I only have a 64GB Surface. Also, I want a real installation regarding the performance.

badsmoke

Yeah, but that's no Option for me, since I only have a 64GB Surface. Also, I want a real installation regarding the performance.

you can install ubuntu on an usb3 stick not like an live System rather a real System.

EFI Externer-Datenträger › Wiki › ubuntuusers.de

you must watch out at the beginning
"ubiquity -b & "

therefore your bootloader is not changed

for the right driver you need a custom kernel

Linux Ubuntu 15.04/10 auf Surface Pro 3

sorry for my bad english

Last edited:

HolF

Somebody has already done all of the work. Search google for "Linux Mint on Surface Pro 3". You will stumple on an github page where somebody has put everything together and created an ISO image. I´ll gave that a try last week. Everything works execpt for multi-touch.

Edit: Ah, Ubuntu. Saw that to late. But Mint has the same basis ;)

Haldi

or you can use microsofts Hyper V. which allows for compressed vhd's.
regarding performace, you can get about 95-99% of a real installation. no gpgpu stuff but we dont have that on the ULV chips either way ^^

OP
Gainiac

Gainiac

Wanna give a Little update on this Project: tried it one time and it hasn't worked. Is there a real easy and 100% working way to install 16.04 on an external HDD?

jrioux

Wanna give a Little update on this Project: tried it one time and it hasn't worked. Is there a real easy and 100% working way to install 16.04 on an external HDD?
I ran Mint Mate 18 on my SP3 from a USB drive with limited success. Neither the keyboard nor my bluetooth mouse worked. Luckily, the touchscreen worked. It took a while to configure the screen and fonts to be a workable size. I gave up on Linux on my SP3, but use both Linux 16.04 Mate and Mint on desktops at home.

Please update us on how things go.