What's new

Umm, I just didn't like it :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipaq_101

I have silver metal stickerboy skins, but they have black leather, metal ones, etc. and they look great. But yes I prefer black over silver as well.

fonzman78

I don't mean to second-guess or question your admin role, but can I ask what is it about this thread - as it currently stands - that led you to post this?

As you know, there is a history with the OP and similar posts which have gone bad in the past. The OP had moved on to other alternatives to the Surface line. I like that he has tried the SP3 but it appears that he still likes his alternative devices. As another thread pointed out, if you have to talked into using a Surface, then it probably isn't for you.

megatronium

Running full Windows and its programs are more desirable to me than apps. To me, the SP3 can get actual work done whereas Android tablets are just consumption devices that can do a little work. I love the look of the SP3 and its functionality. You seem like aesthetics are higher on your list than functionality so the SP3 might not fit you. I used to use my Android Touchpad all the time and loved it. Now I use my SP3 with keyboard and rarely use it in "tablet mode".

wynand32

A couple of points in response to the OP:

1. I can see someone preferring black over the SP3's silver. I'm not in that camp--I think the SP3 is quite attractive, and it feels premium enough to me. I'm not a fan of Samsung's materials, and I have to say that the SP3 has felt quite solid since I first handled one.

Indeed, I think it's one of the most solid devices I've owned. There's absolutely zero flex anywhere on it. Every notebook (including my MacBook Air) and every tablet I've owned has had some flex somewhere. Perhaps not my iPad 3, now that I think about it, but certainly the SP3 feels just as solid.

2. AMOLED screens always make LCDs look "washed out." The converse is to say that LCDs look far more natural than AMOLEDs, which tend to be way over-saturated. Once again, I'm not a Samsung fan here--I think their AMOLED screens and color calibration tend to sacrifice natural colors on the alter of artificial brightness.

Again, though, that's a preference. I can see someone preferring AMOLED screens, just not me. I find the SP3's screen to be excellent in terms of contrast and color accuracy, which was borne out by the recent Displaymate analysis.

3. As to whether the SP3 can truly take the place of a notebook+tablet combo, I think that's (yes, once again) a personal thing. I admit to using my Dell Venue 8 Pro on occasion, but that's less seldom than I expected. And, it's not that I find the SP3 to be too heavy to use (I tend to rest my devices on something, and so the marginal difference in weight hasn't been an issue for me). Instead, I use the Dell where I just can't make myself comfortable using a $1500 machine--for example, when I'm eating alone and want to read or watch something.

Ultimately, I wouldn't try to convince anyone that the SP3 (or any other device) is right for them. There are way too many factors that go into such a decision. It's turned out to be quite right for me, which is really all I can say. And, I can strongly recommend it, but that's as far as I'll go.

Last edited:

fonzman78

Ok, I'm a bit perplexed right now. I was an early adopter of the Surface Pro. Everything I said I wished that hybrid was, the Surface Pro 3 is. Bigger better screen, wider aspect ratio, paper pad sized, adjustable kickstand, better pen. Check the list, on paper they had designed my dream machine.

I went to Bestbuy today WANTING to LOVE this device. And I just didn't (I'm not trolling, I'm just frustrated):

1) I know it is just personal preference, but I like black computers. This silver color looks feminine to me.
2) The edges are too sharp. It doesn't feel comfortable in my hands when using it as a tablet.
3) Damn this thing is big to be used as a tablet. Didn't think I would think so but after using a Tab S 8.4 the last month it seems downright huge. Not sure I would enjoy sitting on the sofa holding this for a long time.
4) The texture of the back may be premium - to me it just doesn't "feel premium". Say what you what you want about Samsung's "soft feel" plastic - it does feel soft. The SP3 just felt hard and rigid.
5) Speaking of the Tab S, I'm afraid I've been spoiled by the super amoled screen. As good as the Surface Pro 3 screen is, it looked washed out to me. Damn you super amoled for ruining lcd for me!
6) The keyboard REALLY bounces when I type and the keys feel very plasticy. Right now I'm typing this message on an Acer R7 572 which has (almost) all of the benefits of the SP3 only bigger and heavier. And much much more solid. The SP3 just felt flimsy to me and kind of looked flimsy too.
7) When I write on the screen there was pooling under my pen tip. That reminded me just how paper thin the glass is on this (plus the reports of spontaneous fracturing) . My Acer R7 never pools beneath the pen. Nothing wrong with pooling, just makes me nervous I'm damaging it.

So anyway, I'm perplexed. I would be making sacrifices in screen real estate to go from my R7 to the SP3 and giving up a very solid full sized keyboard. I was fully ready to make those sacrifices and went to Bestbuy ready to buy - but I left the store without the SP3 feeling very confused.

Is my R7 + Tab S a better combination for me than the SP3 alone? 2 things which do what they do better than the SP3 or one thing that does everything if not as well? It's hard walking away from something you were SURE you wanted.

Can anyone talk me into it? Maybe someone coming from a similar situation to mine and how you found it was better? I'm sure the colors will look better once I can dial down the gamma a bit. I just don't know how to proceed.

A quick Bing of the Acer R7 leads to a device that is nice in some aspects and not so nice in others. Very interesting that they have put the touchpad towards that back of the keyboard. The screen got average reviews. The hinge like thing is.... I don't know... weird? It make the screen float in the air. I can see some folks liking it. When it lays flat, it's a heavier tablet hybrid.

I've always liked Samsung tablets. I had the Galaxy Note 10.1 prior to any of my Surface devices. The stylus was great and it could slide into the case. The Note 10.1 was my runner up to the Surface line. The Apps were good and I was able to do some work and play. It was almost the perfect tablet.

At the end of the day, you still need two devices to do what a single device can do. Some folks like that. Some folks don't. I prefer to carry a single device.

Oh, and good to see y0u back, Mitch. Your posts were often times helpful to keep us in line with our Surface fanaticism. :)

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Couple quick points. For those who remember me from the Surface Pro days, yes I was hard on that device yet pretty much every criticism I had was addressed in the design of the Surface Pro 3. Take from that what you will.

I did not come here to slam the SP3. This device appeals in many practical ways. I like the concept of "one ring to rule them all". I am sure if I could turn the gamma down to a .6 or so the blacks would look just as dark and rich as on my Tab S. The R7 really is great but its just such a brick. Not the sort of thing you want to walk around with under your arm. As a tablet I could also enjoy the larger text at this size. Things get a bit wee on the 8.4.

Right now I'm still about 70/30 leaning towards getting it. :)

Thanks to everyone for your input.

ipaq_101

Couple quick points. For those who remember me from the Surface Pro days, yes I was hard on that device yet pretty much every criticism I had was addressed in the design of the Surface Pro 3. Take from that what you will.

I did not come here to slam the SP3. This device appeals in many practical ways. I like the concept of "one ring to rule them all". I am sure if I could turn the gamma down to a .6 or so the blacks would look just as dark and rich as on my Tab S. The R7 really is great but its just such a brick. Not the sort of thing you want to walk around with under your arm. As a tablet I could also enjoy the larger text at this size. Things get a bit wee on the 8.4.

Right now I'm still about 70/30 leaning towards getting it. :)

Thanks to everyone for your input.
MS has a generous return policy, why not try it for 30 days, tinker with it and see if you can get it to your liking?

Worst case you return it.

ctitanic

That's ok if you don't like it. My question is, why then you need us to convince you on getting one?:confused:

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

MS has a generous return policy, why not try it for 30 days, tinker with it and see if you can get it to your liking?

Worst case you return it.

Yes likely the best option although returning things always makes me feel guilty. Right now my Access database uses every inch of my 15.6" R7. It is going to be smaller on 12 inches and until I see it in action impossible to tell how much of an issue that will be.

How are people finding legacy forms from your desktop or laptop fitting into the 12 inch 3x2 space?

Also read some comments in other threads about the screen breaking around the speaker hole at the top. Has this been a big issue or just the rare defective screen? Was surprised to hear MS won't cover that under warrant.

Since the most stressful thing I do on a computer is my database, I'm wondering if the i3 version might be better? Runs cooler (the heat of the Surface Pro was an issue for me) and gets better battery life. Has anyone tried the i3 and found for basic Office and web browsing it is sufficient? Because of various discounts I receive I can get the i3 as a pure tablet for only $50 more than my Tab S. May just get it as a tablet and keep the R7 for daily work machine. I like the idea of a consistent Windows environment across all devices. Right now my Tab S is pure toy. The i3 SP3 could be a toy ++ for almost the same price.

Lol this is what it looks like when I'm talking myself into something :) .

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

That's ok if you don't like it. My question is, why then you need us to convince you on getting one?:confused:

Because I WANT to like it. :) Specs and features wise this is the machine I wanted the SP1 to be. Now that its here hard to walk away.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes likely the best option although returning things always makes me feel guilty. Right now my Access database uses every inch of my 15.6" R7. It is going to be smaller on 12 inches and until I see it in action impossible to tell how much of an issue that will be.

How are people finding legacy forms from your desktop or laptop fitting into the 12 inch 3x2 space?

Also read some comments in other threads about the screen breaking around the speaker hole at the top. Has this been a big issue or just the rare defective screen? Was surprised to hear MS won't cover that under warrant.

Since the most stressful thing I do on a computer is my database, I'm wondering if the i3 version might be better? Runs cooler (the heat of the Surface Pro was an issue for me) and gets better battery life. Has anyone tried the i3 and found for basic Office and web browsing it is sufficient? Because of various discounts I receive I can get the i3 as a pure tablet for only $50 more than my Tab S. May just get it as a tablet and keep the R7 for daily work machine. I like the idea of a consistent Windows environment across all devices. Right now my Tab S is pure toy. The i3 SP3 could be a toy ++ for almost the same price.

Lol this is what it looks like when I'm talking myself into something :) .
You may wish to rethink the better battery life notion of the i3. Head over to anandtech for some benchmarks.

And at present, the screen issue is a rarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.