What's new

Un-sync Onedrive

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey all

I foolishly decided to try sycing my documents folder to onedrive. Since then, none of my work is being saved in the documents folder in onedrive (e.g when I add information to a word document).

I originally synced it via going to documents properties, selecting location, and then move and selected onedrive. How do I go about unsyncing my documents folder and have it show up under "This PC" instead of onedrive. Already ended up losing half of an assignment :( Might not have explained this as well as it could be done, I'm a little stressed!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
A damn fine question. I just unhooked my father's computer from onedrive and managed to delete the documents from the local disk. Fortunately I was able to re-download them and had backups of everything not synced.

He had a complete mess and couldn't find anything, took me a couple days to sort out with duplicate documents finder as he also had a Documents\Documents folder with a mix of old and new stuff.

Unfortunately you can't really get rid of One drive even though there is a kb article on removing and hiding it the Explorer links remain. Athe least it's not the default save location anymore.

I have file history setup on his computer to an external drive and make backups with Macrium Reflect so the Onedrive was just confusing him which isn't hard :) in addition somehow he had libraries pointing to multiple locations which was another confusion factor. He kept saying why do I have three "Documents" (meaning folders) with different files in them.

Anyway if anyone has good documentation on all the machinations you can do with onedrive I'd be interested as well... because even though I told him to never click on it I know he will.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad I'm not the only one with troubles :)

My issue is not that I've lost the actual documents, and a such would indeed be able to download them, but in that I opened a document, added a thousand words, saved it, and then upon re-opening it, the new content was not there.

I tried right clicking on onedrive and changing the location of the contents to a where my documents would normally be, but gives me an error along the lines of blah blah string exceeds 256 something, operation cancelled by user.