What's new

Unable to insert new nib into SP3 pen

MilesTeg

So my nib order from MS arrived today but none of the new nibs will fully insert into my SP3 pen. I saw the user reviews on the MS store stating that this nib package won't work with the SP3 pen but I also saw replies from MS saying that they will.

For the life of me I can't get the new nibs to insert fully; about a 1/4" of the nib sticks out from the pen's opening. Is there a trick to getting these things in?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
They work with the SP3 in terms of the screen registering them, but they will not work with the original pe that was shipped with the SP3. Information can be found on the Microsoft website

"Compatibility: Surface Pen with single side button" - i.e. the new surface pen.

I do think that they could have been a little clearer in the product description. Not that many people browse tech specs etc. Without reading the specifications, the description could certainly be seen as a little unclear.

OP
M

MilesTeg

Ahhhh thank you I didn't see the fine print with regards to 'single side button'.

That's a shame though because I prefer having two buttons over the one that comes with the SP4.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ahhhh thank you I didn't see the fine print with regards to 'single side button'.

That's a shame though because I prefer having two buttons over the one that comes with the SP4.

I'm not sure what your usage case is, but I have the new pen and bought the nib pack because why not, and I've tried them out and always just gone back to the standard nib.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Support has in the past sent nibs. they are different between the 3 & 4 pens and somewhere I read someone had trimmed nibs to fit one or the other. I assume that means shortening at the back although, you might still return them, if you cut it you bought it. :)