What's new

Undervolt?

Seneleron

/sigh. . . 100c is tJunction. tJunction is thermal shutdown temperature.

Undervolting may help you run at max clocks longer, but in the end you're still going to be pushing 70c +. Well within the SP3 thermal spec, but still what the non technical crowd would call "serious heat".

OP
C

cvc988

Regardless of whether or not the hardware can handle it, the heat is simply unbearable. Based on the reading, it also seems to impact performance. Im just looking for the long term impact of this, what people think, etc

I just did this and it may in fact be working for me. My fan hasn't come on all day and my device hasn't gotten hot. My temps are definitely better than before. I say try it. I was in the same boat as you struggling with heat issues.

Just given the device a few hours to settle down after the change.

Liam2349

If you are being throttled by temperatures, then I imagine undervolting would help, and could actually increase your performance.

It's a shame you don't get a decent bios (or do you now?) where you can adjust the clocks properly. I'd like to see how it performs with the same clocks as the Pro 2.

OP
C

cvc988

I just did this and it may in fact be working for me. My fan hasn't come on all day and my device hasn't gotten hot. My temps are definitely better than before. I say try it. I was in the same boat as you struggling with heat issues.

Just given the device a few hours to settle down after the change.

how far did you undervolt?