What's new

Undervolt?

Seneleron

But for Windows 7, you know the handy, dandy Start Menu Search Box? Yup, disabling Indexing renders it useless.

incorrect. Indexing and windows search are two different things. indexing simply pre caches files and applications Windows thinks you MAY use in order to speed up access times, which is beyond useless on any modern SSD. At most, it will delay search results by one or two seconds.

Disabling windows search in windows 8 may mess with it, but I honestly can't recall the last person i've asked that even USES windows search. ESPECIALLY now that most everything gets dumped into onedrive.

where is that recommendation? And coming from who[m]? is this recommendation based on data or based just "interpretation" of how indexing works?

Because indexing is continually read/writing to the disk based on predictive analytics and file/software usage, it was generally a good idea to disable in older, lower lifespan SSD's to conserve drive life. Modern Ssd's have largely overcome this and will well outlast the computer they're installed in as a general rule....but the advice has persisted anyway.

ctitanic

incorrect. Indexing and windows search are two different things. indexing simply pre caches files and applications Windows thinks you MAY use in order to speed up access times, which is beyond useless on any modern SSD. At most, it will delay search results by one or two seconds..
I don't think that you are correct on this one. Indexing is used by Windows Search.

Seneleron

you are mixing indexing with prefetching. Ctitanic is right in this case.

.MS may play with the verbage, but they essentially do the same thing, just related to different criteria. What it DOES is cause your machine to constantly scan and reorganize their respective drive contents. Because disk read/write kicks up periodically, and disk access generates an unusually high amount of heat, this causes the "issue" of "unit gets hot and fan spins up really loud when not doing anything".

(You are correct though, MS *HAS* integrated the indexing service into Windows Search. WHY is beyond me, but I'll freely admit I missed that one.)

Search USES indexing to hypothetically speed up search times, but with today's modern SSD's it's essentually useless. Going into my computer, right clicking on your drive, and selecting de-selecting "Allow windows to index files and folders on this device" DOES NOT BREAK WINDOWS SEARCH. Don't take my word for it, it's an easy thing to turn on/off, so you can test it for yourself.

To nuke Windows search COMPLETELY, you would have to go into services and disable windows search and/or go into add/remove windows components and de-select windows search.

And with MOST machines, we've gotten to the point where you don't need to worry about most of this. With any modern desktop or notebook computer, you probably wouldn't notice a difference. With the . . thermal sensitivity of the SP3, however, this is a very easy way to cut unnecessary disk access at idle.

Last edited:

jollywombat

Active cooling will have the system activate the cooling fans as needed (assuming the driver structure is there to allow windows control this and not hardware only controlled through BIOS/UEFI). Passive will not allow the fans to kick on at all, will just have heat dissipate through the heatsync only as best it can, again assuming the system allows this.