What's new

Undervolting Boost Performance by 20% reduce heat and noise

mcsenerd

I just can't recommend doing this on a system-wide basis if my SP3 is any indication. I've dialed it all the way back to -30mV but I get consistent crashes/reboots when the system tries to enter connected stand by. Are others noting the same behavior?

This might be better done on a per-app basis.

Matt

Anyone tried these tweaks on an SP1 or SP2? I would have thought the SP2 would have almost certainly had the same benefits?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just can't recommend doing this on a system-wide basis if my SP3 is any indication. I've dialed it all the way back to -30mV but I get consistent crashes/reboots when the system tries to enter connected stand by. Are others noting the same behavior?

This might be better done on a per-app basis.
But like with over clocking, is it not sensible to turn off CS? One would have thought that it would involve power saving features, which as we all experienced when over clocking, more often than not would lead to massive instability unless disabled.

Geneo

Wouldn't the MS engineers have already thought of this... and rejected it for some very valid reasons?

I question any post asking me to do something radical to my computer, but starts it off with "Haven't tried it....".

megatronium

Wouldn't the MS engineers have already thought of this... and rejected it for some very valid reasons?

I question any post asking me to do something radical to my computer, but starts it off with "Haven't tried it....".

Wouldn't MS engineers have already thought of the WLAN issues with the wireless chip they chose?

Overclocking/undervolting isn't as radical for some as you might believe. I've got 2.5 weeks to see others results. I'm hopeful.

Dajackal9999

Hello, I haven't posted much on this forum, but just wanted to report my results with trying the underclock. I was presently surprised to report a 60% increase in my 3dmark 11. Now I hadn't shut off any other processes and had an I.E. running so initially it was reporting 562 as another gentleman had mentioned. After the underclock and rerunning, again not turning off anything else I was receiving over 902 consistently. That is a huge gain. Since I was out of work sick I didn't feel like playing with anything else and just continued to use my surface to connect to work, browse the net (searching for good leather bag for surface) , etch. During the day it went into sleep normally and woke up with WiFi connected and all functional. Using 5N which had problems before driver updates, etch. Unplugged it around 10 pm and went to bed. When I woke up this morning it had went into sleep and then hibernation. Now at this point I usually have around an 5-8 % battery drain. I was quite surprised to see my surface sitting at 100% battery. A little unexpected bonus. My main game I play is WOW and that no longer has the fan going like a bat out of hell and I have about +15 to 20 increase in framerates. Please note that I set my CPU and GPU settings exactly the same as the gentlemen's post said to via the link . I will continue to monitor the system for any errors, but so far I've put it through a lot of paces and it continues to perform just as well and snappy as before while using less battery, running cooler and providing a more consistent experience. Just a little addition to the thread. I hope you all experience the same. By the way...I did the CPU and GPU all at the same time as noted in the screenshot on the site for the tool link.

mcsenerd

I guess I "could" disable connected standby as the system is most certainly stable in other operation other than when it tries to enter connected standby. I don't know...I actually think it's just better to use the per-app profiles and be done with it that way (win/win).

bkydcmpr

It's really interesting if this claim is real that means that Microsoft can do it in the future and release some kind of patch.
no matter how well it works, microsoft will not undervolt their products through firmware, considering this is an out-of-specification application. what they can do though, is to make sure they will not reset the user settings when rebooting, I beg microsoft for that.

Undervolted my CPU and GPU along with CPU Cache and only gained 30 points in 3DMarks 2011 Professional. Do I have to restart the computer before it takes effect of the undervaluing...? I set it back to default because I didn't want to risk any system failure without any real gain.

Seneleron

I didn't want to risk any system failure without any real gain

The risk is as close to zero as you can possibly get. There is an INFINCECIMALLY small chance of O/S corruption, but typically thats on older SSDs.

Undervolting CANNOT damage components. The worst case scenario is that the system hangs or crashes and you have to restart. The ABSOLUTE worst case is that somehow your O/S corrupts. The activation key is baked into the machine, so all it takes is a win 8.1 disk and an external DVD/flash drive to get you back to square one *IF* the recovery partition fails as well [and it shouldn't]

Now, if you were OVERCLOCKING IT. . . .

The risk is as close to zero as you can possibly get. There is an INFINCECIMALLY small chance of O/S corruption, but typically thats on older SSDs.

Undervolting CANNOT damage components. The worst case scenario is that the system hangs or crashes and you have to restart. The ABSOLUTE worst case is that somehow your O/S corrupts. The activation key is baked into the machine, so all it takes is a win 8.1 disk and an external DVD/flash drive to get you back to square one *IF* the recovery partition fails as well [and it shouldn't]

Now, if you were OVERCLOCKING IT. . . .

That's great and all, but I didn't see any performance gain in the tweak so what am I missing?