What's new

Undervolting Boost Performance by 20% reduce heat and noise

ctitanic

I don't know, I may be doing something wrong, but. . .

before.JPG

after.JPG

joell85

I am not seeing any results with this. With all three undervolted by 80 I still see throttling down to 1.7-1.9ghz even though core temp is around 65. What am I doing wrong?

be77solo

I saw a much bigger result of this with the previous firmware. The current firmware from July is a bit better at handling throttling, so seems to negate a lot of the initial benefits this post offered.

DaSchnee

I played around with the XTU tool all day and got some great results while gaming and office tasks, but no matter what I do, I can't put my SP3 to sleep even with the slightest undervolt applied. Really disappointing :/

phositadc

I played around with the XTU tool all day and got some great results while gaming and office tasks, but no matter what I do, I can't put my SP3 to sleep even with the slightest undervolt applied. Really disappointing :/

What does it do? Simply not go to sleep? Or does it crash or something?

DaSchnee

It crashes and restarts a couple of seconds after it goes to sleep.

Before going to bed I've put everything back to stock but it still crashed :/. What ever I triggered with the XTU tool, it is still doing it... might have to reapply the firmware update and see if that helps.

nipponham

I recently tried undervolting using the XTU utility not so much as for performance gain, but to see if I could improve battery life. I got it to a very stable, (read conservative) settings and benchmarks improved by about 12% so I know it’s doing something, but I still haven’t figured out if it’s having any effect on battery life because I can’t seem to get the settings to stick. I don’t know what’s causing the utility revert to default because the setting stick after reboots and initializing from shutdown. Just after some time (a couple of hours?) when I check the utility, it says that the “application exited unexpectedly”, maybe due to platform instability. I’ve done all the stress tests and everything looks all right. I’ve tested minimal numbers (all set to -20mV) and still experience random resets. This utility is not meant to be run at every boot, correct?

megatronium

I recently tried undervolting using the XTU utility not so much as for performance gain, but to see if I could improve battery life. I got it to a very stable, (read conservative) settings and benchmarks improved by about 12% so I know it’s doing something, but I still haven’t figured out if it’s having any effect on battery life because I can’t seem to get the settings to stick. I don’t know what’s causing the utility revert to default because the setting stick after reboots and initializing from shutdown. Just after some time (a couple of hours?) when I check the utility, it says that the “application exited unexpectedly”, maybe due to platform instability. I’ve done all the stress tests and everything looks all right. I’ve tested minimal numbers (all set to -20mV) and still experience random resets. This utility is not meant to be run at every boot, correct?

After the program crashed on me every time the sp3 went into sleep mode, I uninstalled it. Not worth the small performance gain.

Philo

This is normal, I don't know what causes it but instead I use Throttlestop, although that only can underfoot the core not the cache & gpu it does not however reboot like XTU. I have gotten a stable underfoot of -92mV. So give it a try, its free anyways :)

Dion Martinez

This is normal, I don't know what causes it but instead I use Throttlestop, although that only can underfoot the core not the cache & gpu it does not however reboot like XTU. I have gotten a stable underfoot of -92mV. So give it a try, its free anyways :)

Thinking of using Throttlestop instead as well. Did you notice a difference in heat and fan activity?