What's new

unnecessary programs/services

ultimate.goon

Hello. I just want to know if there are any programs/services in MSCONFIG i can disable that the surface3 doesnt need to run properly. I was wondering the same thing about windows features that could be removed as well. I already took out WMP.. This is all for the sake of conserving RAM/battery life.

-goon

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
This isn't some Samsung laptop, the surface comes with no bloat. Everything running is running for the benefit of windows. anything running is most likely running for a good reason. Leave well enough alone :)

You say you've removed WMP, how is that going to do anything for battery or ram? The only reason WMP would have effected battery or ram would be if you were running it. You could have just left it alone and it wouldn't change anything with regard to resources. All you really did there was save yourself a few megabytes of disk space.

OP
U

ultimate.goon

I have the Surface 3 LTE from AT&T. so i think there is some crap on there. How about stuff thats boots with windows that i dont need? Like that office 365 thing or the upgrade to win10 reminder??

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Office 365 "thingy" is the install on command, so if you launch an Office Application it will either install a trial or allow you to activate an Office365 subscription or enter a Product Key.

Windows 10 Upgrade notifies you when your machine is ready to upgrade to Windows 10 (uses less than 300K IIRC).

leeshor

I have the Surface 3 LTE from AT&T. so i think there is some crap on there. How about stuff thats boots with windows that i dont need? Like that office 365 thing or the upgrade to win10 reminder??
Not having seen the AT&T model first hand you may need to be more specific about what they may have bundled. You may only need one thing out of whatever it is which would be the tool that connects you to their network.