What's new

Upgrade observations and post upgrade Recovery Options

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going to use this to record upgrade observations and some testing of various scenarios.

Prior to any upgrades I made full images of all partitions on all computers to be sacrificed.

What will follow is my experiences as they happened.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I upgraded my SP3 today 8/4/15 which is the first of 3 reservations to be offered.

To begin with there were 5 Partitions only 4 showed in Disk Management.
1 - Windows RE Tools NTFS 350MB 282MB used.
2 - EFI System FAT32 200MB 25MB used.
3 - (unlabeled) unformatted 128MB / Not visible in Disk Management. AKA MS Reserved
4 - Windows NTFS 232GB 42GB used.
5 - Recovery Image NTFS 5GB 4.7GB used.

Post Upgrade there are 6 Partitions 5 show in Disk Management. With oddities*
All volume labels are blank except for the Windows Partition and
except for the Windows Partition they all show as having 100% FREE space and No File System.
*I assume this is a BUG or an idiotic choice which will lead to costly mistakes.
1 - no label, no file system Status: healthy recovery partition 350MB 350MB Free
2 - no label, no file system Status: healthy recovery partition 200MB 2ooMB Free.
3 - (unlabeled) unformatted 128MB / Not visible in Disk Management. AKA MS Reserved
4 - Windows NTFS 232GB 60GB used. (18GB additional used after upgrade)
5 - no label, no file system Status: healthy recovery partition 450MB 450MB Free. **NEW
6 - no label, no file system Status: healthy recovery partition 5.0GB 5.0GB Free.

There was loads of disk activity post upgrade, not unexpectedly. In the time it took me to write this all is now clam... for the moment. 2% cpu, 0% disk, oh officecliktorun.exe is communicating on the network.
Spurts of activity from CSISYNCCLIENT ... hmm yes a potential Crime Scene Investigation in progress... :)

Note I turned off a lot of stuff in settings like
getting or sending Windows Updates to others on the network or Internet. i.e. Updates from more than one place OFF!
Syncing,
Sharing my network, camera, microphone...etc. look you just have to get your own. :)

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post Upgrade rebooted a couple times and checked out... seems to be working ok.
Now making a new image of all partitions... hmmm it's a bit slower... 1.2Gb/s vs 1.8Gb/s. under W8.1.
Now to browse those other partitions which are mostly inaccessible from Win10 :)

After a cursory exam:
the *NEW Partition Contains files comparable to the Windows RE Tools partition and references Windows 10.0240

The 5.0GB Recovery Partition appears unmodified.

EFI System partition has been modified.

Windows RE Tools appears unmodified.

Of course Windows C: is heavily modified :)

The reserved partition is still unformatted and not accessible as such... Reserved :)

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So... what if I have problems and want to go back or do one of the very/too frequently requested Reset/Refresh operations. What are the Options???

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

If your PC isn't running as quickly or reliably as it used to, try one of these recovery options. The following table can help you decide which one to use.

Problem Try this
Problem
Your PC isn't working well and you recently installed an app, driver, or update.

Try this
Restore from a system restore point

Problem
Your PC isn’t working well and it’s been a while since you installed anything new.

Try this
Reset your PC

Problem
You want to reinstall your previous operating system.

Try this
Go back to your previous version of Windows

Problem
Your PC won't start and you've created a recovery drive.

Try this
Use a recovery drive to reinstall Windows

Problem
Your PC won't start and you haven't created a recovery drive.

Try this
Use installation media to reinstall Windows​

There's nothing new about restore points... we wont be doing that here...

RESET - This option appears to include sub options to REFRESH, RESET, or RETURN TO FACTORY settings
Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started and choose an option.
Option What it does
Option

Keep my files (REFRESH)

What it does
This reinstalls Windows 10, but keeps your personal files and any apps that came with your PC. It removes:
  • Changes you made to settings

• Apps and drivers you installed
Option
Remove everything (RESET)

What it does
This reinstalls Windows 10 and any apps that came with your PC. It removes:
  • Personal files

If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive. This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.

Option
Restore factory settings

What it does
This reinstalls the version of Windows that came on your PC and any apps that came with it. It removes:
  • Personal files

Note
  • This option isn't available on all PCs.
Oh Boy we're going to have some fun :D
but wait, there's more...

Go back to your previous version of Windows

For a month after you upgrade to Windows 10, you’ll be able to go back to your previous version of Windows from Settings > Update & security > Recovery. This will keep your personal files, but it'll remove apps and drivers installed after the upgrade, as well as any changes you made to settings.

To go back, you'll need to:
  • Keep everything in the windows.old and $windows.~bt folders after the upgrade.

• Make sure not to add, remove, or move any user accounts after the upgrade.

• Know the password you used to sign in to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (if you used one).

• Have the USB drive you used to upgrade to Windows 10 (if you used one).
Note
  • If you go back to Windows 8.1, some apps that came with Windows, like Mail and People, might not work anymore. To fix them, reinstall them from the Store.
If go back isn't available

• Check to see if you can restore your PC to factory settings. This will reinstall the version of Windows that came with your PC and remove personal files, apps and drivers you installed, and any changes you made to settings. Go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > Get started and look for Restore factory settings.

If you created a recovery drive before upgrading to Windows 10, you might be able to use it to restore factory settings (even if the option isn’t showing up in Settings). For more info, see Use a recovery drive to reinstall Windows.

• If you have installation media and a product key for your previous version of Windows, you can use them to go back. Get the details in Use installation media to reinstall Windows.

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
A fine how do you do this morning... fired up the SP3 and I cant logon. the Password dialog is there and it shows a cursor but the onscreen keyboard wont come up and attaching the Surface keyboard doesn't work either. I can select another user but same thing... I guess I will have to restart

Seems Restarting is taking inordinately long... I guess its a good thing I made those Images ... Oh my, it may be DEAD Jim.

Well ... after a hard power reset we came back to life only to have the no keyboard input problem again... yet another reboot and success I got signed in.

Ok let's test the Go back to Windows 8.1 feature, I'm not liking this W10 too much anyway and there's another thread where someone is asking how to do it... Perfect :)

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Settings > Update & security > Recovery> Go back to Windows 8.1
This will keep your personal files, but it'll remove apps and drivers installed after the upgrade, as well as any changes you made to settings.

To go back, you'll need to:
  • Keep everything in the windows.old and $windows.~bt folders after the upgrade.
  • Make sure not to add, remove, or move any user accounts after the upgrade.
  • Know the password you used to sign in to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (if you used one).
  • Have the USB drive you used to upgrade to Windows 10 (if you used one).
Note
  • If you go back to Windows 8.1, some apps that came with Windows, like Mail and People, might not work anymore. To fix them, reinstall them from the Store.
Reverting was pretty quick... was back on 8.1 in a flash.
Nope, Mail, Calendar, People wont launch.
Uninstall Mail... that actually gets Calendar and People also, it's really one app.
Skype doesn't work either... uninstall it also.

To uninstall just press and hold the Tile then the menu pops up on the bottom, select uninstall.

You will need to sync with the Store so it realizes they have been uninstalled unless you have a lot of time to wait for it to happen on it's own.

Open the Store App
Swipe from the right and select settings - app updates - sync licenses

In the Store app at the top tap Account then My Apps
Make sure the dropdown in on "Apps Not installed on this PC"
Find the Mail, Calendar & People app in the list tap to select and Install. if it still says already installed the sync is slow.
Do the same for any other app you had to uninstall.

Note a lot of apps have a placeholder Tile that's blank with a down-arrow on it. Those you can just touch and it will install/refresh them.

I noticed the Wireless settings were lost and had to reenter those.
Also lost my location in the Weather Channel app.

Looks pretty good back on Windows 8.1 so far...

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Funny thing... when I did the Go back to Windows 8.1 it asked me why with a little survey screen.
I checked a couple boxes for reasons and the Other Box which had a space to type ... but the keyboard wouldn't popup so I couldn't enter anything. :) It must have known I was going to rat it out.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
After going back the New Partition has been removed but I still have 57GB used space on C: vs 42GB when I was last on 8.1. prior to upgrading to 10 and the Windows 10 download is only 3GB.

Edit: also in Disk Manager the partitions are still unlabeled, with no file system, and report 100% free space.

Note this all might be a very tight fit on a 64GB i3 SP3.

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think next Ill restore the W10 image then do a REFRESH.
The Go back to Windows 8.1 feature relies on Windows.old being there with 8.1 in it but Refresh will create a Windows.old also. Sounds like a conflict in the making and Id expect there would be no Going Back to 8.1 after a Windows 10 Refresh.

Since the Reset is "remove everything and reinstall" ... Windows.old will be no more in that scenario also.

You'll get one shot at going back, anything else will be a Recovery Scenario...

but will that Recovery Partition still work or will you need a Recovery USB??? and in fact what will I get if I Power on with the volume rocker down??? Windows 10 Recovery? Windows 8.1 Recovery? A choice of either? or Nothing at all?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Confirmed: IF you Refresh or RESET Windows 10 you will lose the ability to use the Go back to Windows 8.1 feature. Choose wisely grasshopper.

There is a Warning! Screen that states "This PC was recently upgraded to Windows 10. If you Reset this PC you wont be able to undo the upgrade and go back to the previous version of Windows." I was actually doing a Refresh ... keep my files operation but it would be the same either way.

Prior to doing this I recorded specific details about the Windows.old and Windows.~BT folders. which are required to be undisturbed IF you want to GO BACK.

Double Confirmation: Go back is no longer an option listed under Recovery. Although Restore Factory Settings is still available which would use the Recovery partition and on a Surface Pro would take you back to Windows 8.0 not 8.1 because that's what is in the Recovery Partition.

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
REFRESH: (keep my files)
It's a reinstall of Windows 10 so of course it takes a while. This option is much slower than going back to the previous OS. Which given the quickness of that operation was just renaming some directories, updating a few pointers etc. etc. and bam your back on 8.1 or 7 whatever you upgraded from.

I had Installed all the UPDATES prior to doing the REFRESH so it was supposed to REFRESH in place and not require installing updates again but that didn't happen... It reinstalled the Cumulative Update I had installed before doing the REFRESH another update for Windows 10 and a July 23 Firmware update ...

Lots of Start menu configuration went by by in this REFRESH.

Sure enough Windows.old and $Windows.~BT are *new* so GO BACK is gone.

After the REFRESH I've noticed some screen flashing... very annoying ... yet another Windows 10 instability feature.

So RESET would just Reinstall Windows 10 without keeping my files.. I'm not sure there's any point in doing it now... other that to try for One out of three installs without a W10 problem or more likely 3 of 3 with problems.
Well I guess that would be statistically worthy.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
RESET : Remove everything...
Well the rest is complete and I checked Windows Update... have the same Updates still to do so I'm not sure if the *NEW* RESET/REFRESH in place is working all that well... giving benefit of the doubt maybe we have to pass a maintenance period before the latest updates get included.

Partitioning is the same, nothing changed there...

There is a Windows.old directory, surprised at that, but it's nearly empty with just some updates stored in a winSxS subdirectory.

In Recovery we still have the Option to "Restore factory settings" which relies on the contents of the Recovery Partition but of course Go Back is gone after doing either a REFRESH or RESET. Still you always have the old reliable USB Recovery Drive for getting back to 8.1 if you wish.

So far so good... but I haven't determined yet if this install is faultless.

All the Recovery Options have worked without hiccup though and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and quick Go Back worked even though Mail and Skype had to be uninstalled/reinstalled and it lost some settings. Good job overall on that one.

Last edited: