What's new

Upgrade observations and post upgrade Recovery Options

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Major drag!!! after doing RESET all apps are lost (no surprise... wait for it) and in the past your could go to the store and see Apps you owned not installed on this PC and easily reinstall them.. That doesn't seem to work under Windows 10. Discontinuity! Sucks!

Still finding it hard to like Windows 10.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's Official, I'm 3 for 3 on my SP3 with Windows 10. 3 installs (1 upgrade, 1 Refresh, 1 Reset) and in the third install the Keyboard randomly doesn't work, just like in the others.

Sadly this makes it unusable and undependable. I see no point in trying this on the Surface 3.
Maybe in 3-6 months they will get it to a workable state. In the meantime I'll keep Windows 8.1 on my Surfaces and test Windows 10 with my laptops although at 1366 x 768 it looks particularly horrible.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I've done every other option so may as well go down the path of selecting the Restore Factory Settings. This will take me back to Windows 8.1 on the SP3 via the Recovery Partition Image reinstallation. No reason this shouldn't work since I have not removed or futzed with the Recovery Partition on my SP3.

Although before I do that I have some testing to do in Tablet Mode on W10. It seems strange... I don't quite get the shadow desktop/Start Screen it gives me the impression something broke or borked.

kristalsoldier

Well I've done every other option so may as well go down the path of selecting the Restore Factory Settings. This will take me back to Windows 8.1 on the SP3 via the Recovery Partition Image reinstallation. No reason this shouldn't work since I have not removed or futzed with the Recovery Partition on my SP3.

Although before I do that I have some testing to do in Tablet Mode on W10. It seems strange... I don't quite get the shadow desktop/Start Screen it gives me the impression something broke or borked.

If it makes you feel any better, this is exactly what I had to do on my SP3. One the S3, the upgrade-install was flawless. On the SP3, however, I finally rolled back to 8.1 and then reset at 8.1 and went through the upgrade process again. And, it worked! So, there is a sliver of hope left! Good Luck!