What's new

Upgrade to Surface Pro 3

OWENCOBB

Hi everyone, I have a question that I do not know the answer to, I have an original Surface RT and as soon as the Surface Pro 3 is launched in the UK on the 28 August I will be upgrading, however my question is as soon as a log in to the new machine with my windows id I know that all my tiles etc will appear and email addresses etc but what about all my music and photos that are stored on my RT will they appear or not, also web pages that have saved in my reading list app. I have a lot of stuff on the RT and do not want to loose it when I move over to the Pro 3. Will it work the same as Apple where I can back up my iPad and it remembers everything when I log into to a new machine.

Any advice gratefully recieved

ipaq_101

Best bet is to back up all your files to the external micro sd card and then transfer them over to the SP3.

OP
O

OWENCOBB

With out sounding stupid how do I copy everything to an sd card will that include pdfs that I have saved

malberttoo

The SD card will show up in Computer (Win7)/ This PC (Win8). You can double-click on it and it will open just like the C: drive or a thumb drive.

So basically pop in the SD card, open it up, then just drag and drop onto it everything that you want on the new machine. Then take out the card, put in your new SP3, and copy everything OFF the card, onto wherever you want it on the SP3.

If your card is smaller and you have a lot of music, you may have to make several trips.

Does that make sense? :)

OP
O

OWENCOBB

The SD card will show up in Computer (Win7)/ This PC (Win8). You can double-click on it and it will open just like the C: drive or a thumb drive.

So basically pop in the SD card, open it up, then just drag and drop onto it everything that you want on the new machine. Then take out the card, put in your new SP3, and copy everything OFF the card, onto wherever you want it on the SP3.

If your card is smaller and you have a lot of music, you may have to make several trips.

Does that make sense? :)

Yes perfect thanks for the help. And advice