What's new

Upgraded to W10 but running SLOW

cemian

Has anyone else experienced this? I am running an i7 256GB and seems like I am waiting for things to load much more now and fan is on more often at times...the lag is getting annoying...are there any tips to speed this up? thanks

leeshor

I have been having a discussion about that on on another site. One of my suggestions to someone was to keep their system awake and powered for 1 hour and just walk away. As strange as that may sound it has worked for a few people. Lack of a drive activity indicator doesn't allow you to see that after the upgrade there is still a lot of maintenance going on behind the scenes. Though this may not be your problem it may help. Otherwise look at the task manager to find out what's most active.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@cemian

As @leeshor has said, Much is going on to upgrade each of your apps, and arrange all your settings in Windows 10, especially if you are upgrading from Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 .

If you have a slow Internet connection, the process will also be slow. Also, if you see a OneDrive icon somewhere in the lower-right of your taskbar, right-click on that and Exit. You can update OneDrive later.

Give it more time. Let us know.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to give some input. Ive been on the TP since the beginning and have been up to date for days, but for the whole of today everything has been sluggish despite nothing going on in task manager. Very odd. Edge unresponsive for about ten seconds per clock of a link.

Restarted, and it hung on a restart screen for 30 minutes so I hard reset and it was good as new again.

Strange shenanigans

Give it a day or two. I'll be just as fast as 8.1. To save battery life while web browsing, you must use a host file ad blocker or use Chrome with adblock or IE with TPL. Don't use Edge or Internet Explorer without ad blocking or they'll consume unnecessary CPU and RAM which I never experienced with 8.1 due to Metro IE supporting TPL adblocking.

fred_com

Edge unresponsive for about ten seconds per clock of a link.
I've noticed that as well. But then I've discovered that IE is still installed, so I've returned to using it. Sadly, Edge is still a bit buggy.

Also, overall slowness is noticeable for me too (I have i5 with 8gig). Well, let's hope that it will go away over time and with updates.

Sequel

I've noticed that as well. But then I've discovered that IE is still installed, so I've returned to using it. Sadly, Edge is still a bit buggy.

Also, overall slowness is noticeable for me too (I have i5 with 8gig). Well, let's hope that it will go away over time and with updates.

I noticed this too, but it all changed for me once I added a hosts file. I did on my SP3, but not my Insider Desktop for comparison. I can load the Windows Central website in Edge on both machines. It's instantaneous on my SP3 and takes about 5 seconds on my other computer before I can scroll. Plus, once it's rendered it no longer consumes CPU on my SP3. Edge continues to take almost 50% CPU on my other computer just idling on that web page.

I no longer have my fan running all day long.

FWIW, I had trouble with the link previously posted in this thread, but followed the instructions here:

http://www.bidnessetc.com/49100-microsoft-corporation-edge-browser-heres-how-to-block-ads/

OP
C

cemian

I am a big OneNote user for writing notes but using it after upgrading to windows 10 is getting annoying and sometimes not useable...seems like the keyboard keys get stuck the onscreen keyboard keep popping up everytime you try to write....and if you just touch the screen the writing bar pops up..sometimes it will just freeze and I cannot get a full screen out of it without the taskbar..im always afraid im going to hit it with my palm...anybody else running into problems? seems like i have to restart this thing several times a day for it to work somewhat normally....just annoying...