UPS left my new surface 2 in the mail box

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 2' started by macmee, Jan 31, 2014.

1. macmee

macmee Active Member

What if it was stolen? Sort of odd that UPS would do this. It was incredibly cold when I opened it.

2. Sihaz

Sihaz Member

I think they may have been trying to do you a favour. you obviously don't like your surface very much!

1 person likes this.
  3. MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    And you have been complaining about them getting too hot. Geez make up your mind already!:in love:

3 people like this.
  4. jefhart

jefhart Member

My Device:
    SPro2
    The FedEx guy left mine on the ground in the snow, what is your point?

5. macmee

macmee Active Member

It could have easily been stolen and then it would be my word against UPS.

Also I mentioned the cold because I'm curious how could it would have to be to cause damage to the device. Doesn't seem to be any damage to this device due to sitting in the cold, but I'm merely curious.

6. MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Man you know we're just giving you a hard time! I personally think it's absurd that they would leave yours in a cold mailbox or his straight up in the freaking snow! Maybe a couple days before Christmas when they've just lost their minds but this is late January and they should be sane by now!

7. revmike

revmike Active Member

Not condoning their act, but in the end it was not stolen.

8. macmee

macmee Active Member

And for this I am thankful, I would be scared that if it were stolen, Microsoft wouldn't believe me.

9. jrapdx

jrapdx Member

Yes but I can empathize with macmee on this one. I've had very similar experience, with UPS or FedEx leaving the computer they were suppose to hand to me (or someone in the office) in person, sitting in the hallway. In one instance the package was there for hours, I only knew about it because another tenant noticed it and brought to my attention.

Curiously, this package abandonment has only happened with computers I've ordered on line, not with any other expensive items. Maybe, OK probably, only coincidence, but I don't know, seeing how many others have been in the same boat...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  10. Dim-Ize

Dim-Ize Active Member

I thought that the inside the mailbox was property of USPS (federal) and off limits to carriers, neighborhood lawnmen/offers, etc.

What do I know though... Glad it was safe and chilly for you to heat up with fun clock demanding apps.

11. jrapdx

jrapdx Member

For a mail box, that's true. But the SP2 wasn't mailed. No, the buyer paid to have the purchase transported by a "public carrier" (UPS, FedEx, et. al.) government-licensed to deliver the object to the buyer. Unless instructed otherwise by the purchaser, the delivery of the item is supposed to be acknowledged by signature of an individual authorized to receive the package, certainly not abandoned on the doorstep.

Yes, I know that too often happens, but it's foolish. The carrier is responsible for the item during transport, and should the package "disappear" from where it was dropped unattended, without that signature or proof of delivery, the carrier will very likely be liable for the full cost of the item.

Even if the merchandise isn't stolen (a good thing of course), by all means, such irresponsible behavior is worth complaining about.

1 person likes this.
  12. drolem

drolem Active Member

Incorrect. Signature is required only of the shipper requests it, otherwise it's up to the delivery person's discretion to either leave the package at the door, at some other suitable place, or leave a note. In general, they don't leave packages outside in 'bad' areas.