What's new

USB charging port on power adapter

r0b123

I didn't realize there was a USB charging port on the power adapter. Nice! Too bad the SP3 doesn't see a device when its on, but I guess that would be a bit of technical aspect to implement some data transfer.

The good news is when the SP3 is off and you connect a USB device that needs charging, it will charge. Maybe in the SP4 or a new adapter device data recognition might happen.

malberttoo

Or a second USB port on the Surface itself? Nah! :mad:

That kind of blows my mind a little, surely they must have stayed with 1 USB port for space issues. But is surprising all the same, that with a bigger SP3, that they still only have room for 1??

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There are two USB Ports on the Surface Pro line since the Gen 1 device, but the second is the Spine where the cover connects....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are two USB Ports on the Surface Pro line since the Gen 1 device, but the second is the Spine where the cover connects....
Interesting ... So a custom USB dock could be made then that you just sit the Surface on and it magnetically attaches or a custom USB cable could be made.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You would get much data bandwidth through the Spine as IIRC it is USB 1.1 (designed specifically for the Keyboard, Trackpad)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You would get much data bandwidth through the Spine as IIRC it is USB 1.1 (designed specifically for the Keyboard, Trackpad)
Well... hardly worth mentioning its USB then ... perhaps on a future model... with separate controller so you have two full Super Speed buses.

BTW: is there a document, partner document, or resource kit available that covers the Surface in detail? info in a DDK, hardware device spec, etc. ?

Last edited: