USB not recognized

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Book' started by bamaster, Nov 30, 2015.

1. bamaster

bamaster Member

Hello,

OK, I just ran into something weird. I use a Logitech Anywhere MX wireless USB mouse most of the time so the USB dongle stays plugged in. No problem, it works fine. But today I also plugged in an external drive (2 TB Seagate USB 3.0). The moment I plug it in, I lose the mouse. Unplug the external drive, the mouse works. Hrmm...

So I use the touchpad and then I get a "USB device not recognized" error. It blinked a couple times then the mouse started to work. then both the mouse and external drive stopped working. I did this a couple times.

So has anyone been able to have a wireless mouse and external drive plugged in at the same time?

2. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Active Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    I have a SB and I use a BT keyboard and a wireless mouse with it. I have the new dock hooked up to my SB. The wireless dongle is plugged into one of the USB hubs that's connected to my dock. I also have two USB drives hooked up to my dock as well. I've had no issues (yet) as you've described. I haven't tried using just my USB ports on my SB.

bamaster likes this.
  3. leeshor

leeshor Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Is that 2TB drive USB only or is it powered?

4. bamaster

bamaster Member

5. leeshor

leeshor Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    It's possibly drawing more from the USB port than it can comfortably handle. A powered USB HUB would tell you one way or the other.

6. bamaster

bamaster Member

I don't have a problem with the mouse while using a USB powered external DVD drive. It doesn't use two ports, just one.

The plot thickens. It seems that once I plug in the drive, the wireless mouse stops working. But... it actually seems that the RANGE is affected. Like, the mouse works only when a couple inches away from the receiver. And then it a minute later it works fine... then later, 3-inch range again.

So is there a way to set the USB power setting? Don't most power profiles allow power saving mode on the USB? Nothing in the Surface Book's "Balanced" profile.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015