What's new

usb port cannot power multiple usb devices

omgnoseat

I don't really have any knowledge on usb power consumption, so I'm not very sure what the problem is;
I bought this USB hub with a fan (http://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/arctic-breeze-pro.html), I thought it was the ultimate solution for when I wanted to play multiplayer games, a usb hub + some additional cooling.

When I attach the fan and plug in a controller it works fine. But once I turn on the fan the controller start connecting and reconnecting. I'm guessing the surface cannot deliver enough power to support both.
Might there be a setting to supply more power at the sacrifice of battery life?

I could power the fan seperatly, but that kinda destroys the portability.

megatronium

I don't really have any knowledge on usb power consumption, so I'm not very sure what the problem is;
I bought this USB hub with a fan (http://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/arctic-breeze-pro.html), I thought it was the ultimate solution for when I wanted to play multiplayer games, a usb hub + some additional cooling.

When I attach the fan and plug in a controller it works fine. But once I turn on the fan the controller start connecting and reconnecting. I'm guessing the surface cannot deliver enough power to support both.
Might there be a setting to supply more power at the sacrifice of battery life?

I could power the fan seperatly, but that kinda destroys the portability.

Probably related more to the hub or the controller. I've used a usb hub for a mouse and my 2TB Seagate slim drive and both work. YMMV. I don't know how to supply additional power to USB port.

HvT

This fan is a USB 2.0 device. USB 2 only allows 500mA per socket. Yes there are chargers and and some laptops with special USB ports that give 1,0 - 2.1A, but they are marked as such. Not the SP3 USB. That's a regular USB 3.0 port, providing max. 900mA. If a USB 2.0 device is attached, it only allows 500mA to stay compliant.
The vent you mentioned consumes 200mA. This means you only have 300mA left for both of your controllers. Do you know their requirements?
Hard drives attached to USB usually consume approx. 400-500mA to spin up, some more, some less. Once they reach their rotation speed, they operate at less than that, depending on the load.

Gary.M

I bought a usb3.0 hub and my sp3 powers an external hard drive, USB memory stick, mouse and Razer Orbweaver without a problem. I think usb3.0 is key here