What's new

Use as an alarm clock

Ben Freedman

Howdy...

I'm trying to use the included Metro Alarm Clock app to wake myself up like I used to do with my old Android tablet...

What I've found is that, after making sure the alarm is set to use notifications...

1) With screen on, the alarm is perfect
2) With the device in 'light sleep' mode for just a few minutes, it wakes up and rings
3) Here's the problem. After sleeping for a few hours (like, overnight), the alarm will not wake up and ring...

This renders the alarm basically useless, as I always try to get at least 4 hours sleep :)

Is there any way to fix this or make it ALWAYS wake up for the alarm? I need to be able to trust it if it's to be my alarm clock.

Thanks!

Best,

Ben

OP
B

Ben Freedman

Does the 'night mode' still let the computer sleep? I don't want the screen on all night, draining the battery while I'm asleep..???

Best,

Ben

enthuz

I sometimes use the HD Alarm Clock, which has a "night mode". See if that works. Don't oversleep because of me, though.

App looks good, but many reviews state that it doesn't work as advertised. Hate to waste money if it doesn't work overnight as advertised. As for the battery issues, I would just plug it up for overnight use.

OP
B

Ben Freedman

As for the battery issues I would just plug it up for overnight use.

---> Yes... the obvious solution, or I just could use a real alarm clock. What I'm looking for is a solution that I can use without being plugged in. Hoping to replicate my previous iPad / Android experience...

Sounds like I'm out of luck, however...

Best,

Ben

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I'm looking for is a solution that I can use without being plugged in.

Aka an alarm clock. I do not understand this thread. Clearly you don't actually have a requirement for using your surface for an alarm clock. So to ask again, what is wrong with your phone?

OP
B

Ben Freedman

It's simple. With my previous ipad and android tablets, I could use them reliably as an alarm clock without being plugged in. My question was whether this was possible with a Surface Pro 3 on batteries, just like I did with the previous items.

Doesn't matter why, or what other devices I could possibly use as an alarm clock. I believe my question is asked and answered...

TL;DR: No... It can't.

B.

Antitoon

I am wondering whether this might be possible by disabling connected standby and putting the device to sleep (*not* hibernation). I don't know whether it is possible to have wake-up hooks in classic sleep or not, it might be. I will leave some more experienced user answering this.

RémiM

Aka an alarm clock. I do not understand this thread. Clearly you don't actually have a requirement for using your surface for an alarm clock. So to ask again, what is wrong with your phone?

In my opinion your comment could be a little bit unappropriate.

For example:

I have no cellphone (yep, 2014 and no cellphone, no facebook. It exists.) and today I had to wake up to pick up my girlfriend at work.

Usually, when my girlfriend wakes up after me, I use her iPhone as an alarm clock. It works perfectly. Otherwise I use my tablet. Since I've bought my SP3, I've never had the need to use it at an alarm. But this morning, it was the only thing I had in my house to wake me up (no kids yet).

And guess what ? It didnt work. I've put 3 alarms, and none of them worked.

Hopefully I woke up by myself on time.

But not everybody has a cellphone, nor a classic alarm clock, nor a radio. And as my SP3 has an alarm clock app built in, I was expecting it to work. And I dont feel stupid using it.

wmgreenjr

If taking a nap under four hours it'll work regardless; but if going to sleep for longer than that then just plug it in. Not sure that I see the issue.

If you are going to sleep for a long time, you probably want it plugged in anyway just to make sure the battery doesn't go dead. Maybe I am misunderstanding the overall issue though.