What's new

Use Microsoft Wireless Display With HDMI Swith?

netuser

I'd like to set this up on a TV in conference rooms and avoid users having to figure out how to change inputs on the TV.
The way we want this to work is for the wireless display to come on by default when the tv is powered on.
If the person is using a laptop that doesn't support wireless display, they connect the provided HDMI cable with or without DisplayPort adapter to their laptop. We want an HDMI switch to autodetect wired connections and switch to that as needed. When the cable is not connected, default back to wireless display without the user having to do anything.
There is an HDMI port box on the conference table than runs under the floor to the TV.
What is the best way to make this work and what is a good professional quality and compact HDMI switch that switches automatically?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to set this up on a TV in conference rooms and avoid users having to figure out how to change inputs on the TV.
The way we want this to work is for the wireless display to come on by default when the tv is powered on.
If the person is using a laptop that doesn't support wireless display, they connect the provided HDMI cable with or without DisplayPort adapter to their laptop. We want an HDMI switch to autodetect wired connections and switch to that as needed. When the cable is not connected, default back to wireless display without the user having to do anything.
There is an HDMI port box on the conference table than runs under the floor to the TV.
What is the best way to make this work and what is a good professional quality and compact HDMI switch that switches automatically?
Creston have the best systems to do what you are looking to do...

OP
N

netuser

No, the Crestons looks huge and heavy and over $1000. I'm looking for something very compact that can fit hidden behind a TV, under $200 and is also a quality grade or two above the home use plastic switchers you see on Amazon for under $40.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
No, the Crestons looks huge and heavy and over $1000. I'm looking for something very compact that can fit hidden behind a TV, under $200 and is also a quality grade or two above the home use plastic switchers you see on Amazon for under $40.
It would help if you put your constraints into your requests. I've always used Creston systems but will be switching to Surface Hubs in the future.

OP
N

netuser

It would help if you put your constraints into your requests. I've always used Creston systems but will be switching to Surface Hubs in the future.

I said "compact," and specified that it would only be 2 inputs required (one for wired and one for wireless display) in the conference rooms but I see now that people have different ideas of what compact is. When I looked up Creston HDMI switches, I only saw some pretty big boxes.
In the second post I clarified the size as small enough to fit behind a TV.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Creston AirMedia is compact and offers an enterprise solution, most of the solutions I've seen are consumer oriented intended for home theater systems....

I hope you find what your looking for at the price you want.