What's new

USED Replacement Surface - do you think this is acceptable?

OP
N

Nitemare

Sorry for the late reply. Been busy getting settled into school.

The rep who I had been working with from the get-go agreed that this was unacceptable. She said most refurbs look brand new and customers aren't even aware they're refurbs. Since I chose the route of the advanced RMA (credit card involved), she forwarded me over to their "Surface CARE" team who attempted to contact me via phone Friday (I was busy) and followed up with an email. I replied back on Saturday, but haven't heard anything yet (probably due to the weekend). I've found that the support teams are pretty good at coordinating call times/communication methods.

They are allowing me to keep both Surfaces in the mean time. The individual from the CARE team seemed fairly confident in his ability to make sure we resolve this issue. It is my guess I'll just slap the included return label right back onto the replacement and be sent another refurb (hopefully a decent one) or a brand new unit. That's all I know and can guess as of now. I'll keep you all posted.

mtalinm

It's not uncommon for insurance companies like Asurion to give returns (I think their policies explicitly state that you are OK with a refurb). But I'm surprised if MSFT did that... though they may outsource the warranty replacements.

Omni

All the replacement units Ive had have looked brand new and I wouldn't accept anything different!

OP
N

Nitemare

Well guess what. My second replacement had the SAME PROBLEM. Looked like total crap.

The guy from the care team saw pictures and agreed it was BS that the service center is sending out devices like this. The process has been a total headache, because I have to send it to TX (took a few days the first time, 2nd time he gave me an overnight label) and then it takes a few days to get to Mexico where the actual center is. Then I have to start a brand new service order and get another replacement device after a couple of days.

Considering the circumstance, he attempted to get in touch with the MS online store side of the house (I guess they're not really connected). He wanted to get a me a new device, and they pretty much told him to screw off, and the nearest MS store is 2 hours away, so that's out of the question.

I'm pretty disappointed with all of this. I either have to stick with a faulty Surface, or keep doing this replacement cycle until I get one that I find to be satisfactory.

WoRie

Just a heads-up from over the pond in Germany: I requested an advanced replacement for mine due to the faulty firmware, and received the replacement a week later (without bad weather). While not as bad as yours, it was clearly not new and in worse condition than my own. Immediately contacted support, they suggested I simply send the replacement back and now they've lost it. It arrived at the service center on 27.01 and I haven't heard back about the whereabouts of the device despite several calls. Today their support system is not working so no luck either. In the meantime my battery problems fixed itself with the January update, but now WiFi is gone (adapter disappeared and won't reappear). I can't get this one replaced, because the old ticket hasn't been closed. So I'm stuck with my surface in the docking station and no way to replace it except dropping it of at the retail location where I bought it (not MS since MS doesn't have and retail spots in Germany except in Berlin), where they will send it to MS to fix it, which I'm vary of. So much for preordering a 1300 € to have nothing but hassles....

Moodi

My surface pro 2 has the 4200U CPU and it feels so fast ,since i live outside the USA sending my surface for replacement just to get insignificant CPU boost is NOT an option for me ,but here is a another tragic story about my docking station:

long story short : i purchased a docking station from best buy and my cousin sent it to me here (Dubai) , i realized that the mini display port on the dock was defective ,i called Microsoft and spoke to 10 different agents explaining to them that it is too costly to send my dock all the way from Dubai to USA for exchange ,after 10s of calls ONE smart agent agreed to send me a free replacement (sent inside USA then forwarded to dubai) ,and then GUESS WHAT?!

the second dock was FU** ,the mini display port was functional BUT the ethernet port was NOT ,i called MS again and said :" WHAT THE FU**?
they escalated the case to surface care who decided to send me ANOTHER dock for FREE ,its on its way to my new york address ,i wonder if this THIRD dock will eventually work!

i think Microsoft is sending us indirect message :"Keep your surface and do NOT even think about replacing it just to get an extra 300 MGhz! ,otherwise ,we will let u regret that!"

CrippsCorner

Damn it's a real shame because I keep hearing about defective docks! Makes you wonder why they held back on releasing it straight away? I would have presumed it was to get things like this fixed...
nerd.png

be77solo

Well, add me to the list, just received a replacement SP2 to replace mine that was deemed defective by support... replacement unit is in terrible condition, scratched/scuffed with paint flaking off.

It arrived in a plain brown box and unit was wrapped in a white bubble wrap bag. I refuse to even turn it on, my current device is in perfect condition visibly after months of use. This replacement was obviously trashed and returned, and Microsoft simply threw it in bubble wrap and sent to what was up to this point a happy customer that loved the product. Poor poor job Microsoft, I was hoping the original poster had an unfortunate rare incident but apparently its standard procedure, and yet he still hasn't been rectified.

Moral of the story, if you return a device, you'll simply be getting back someone else's returned device in exchange, regardless of condition. They design and sell a product that is easy to damage or scratch and essentially not serviceable, and then just keep recycling the same bad hardware amongst paying customers.

I'll report back what Microsoft has to say, there is currently a 109 minute wait to speak with support. :eek:mg:

For those that did receive new replacements, I dare say it was simply because old units weren't yet widely available in their exchange system, but they are now.

reach

not too long ago, people here laughed at me for complaining that MS applies rubbush paint on the Surface, rather than a solid coating like Apple does. Looks like it's not so funny any more.
It's not unusual to have used replacements, Apple has the same exchange policy, but if the device looks like crap after one week of regular use, this is definitely going to become a problem. I'm curious how MS will handle this.

CreativeLemming

Moral of the story, if you return a device, you'll simply be getting back someone else's returned device in exchange, regardless of condition. They design and sell a product that is easy to damage or scratch and essentially not serviceable, and then just keep recycling the same bad hardware amongst paying customers.

For those that did receive new replacements, I dare say it was simply because old units weren't yet widely available in their exchange system, but they are now.

Well I did try to warn you a month ago in post 12

Anyway, sorry to hear your bad luck. I got lucky, pretty sure I got a refurb as it had a tiny scratch on the back but I think it's overall better than my original. Shame I didn't get the free vouchers like others have been getting, although not complaining about not getting freebies.

Hope it works out for you :-(

be77solo

not too long ago, people here laughed at me for complaining that MS applies rubbush paint on the Surface, rather than a solid coating like Apple does. Looks like it's not so funny any more.
It's not unusual to have used replacements, Apple has the same exchange policy, but if the device looks like crap after one week of regular use, this is definitely going to become a problem. I'm curious how MS will handle this.

Yep, the paint or finish has been an issue since the first SP1 I owned, but being a bit OCD I always kept it looking nice... sure, a little bump here or there but nothing like this, the one I got today looks like someone laid it on a concrete sidewalk and slid it around a bit. I get how it happens, but just because others don't care doesn't mean those of us that do get a crap unit back when something random breaks. I too am very curious how Microsoft handles this in the long run. I've had refurbished cellphones and not a single complaint, I get it, but they also look new. This is a different animal.

Well I did try to warn you a month ago in post 12

Anyway, sorry to hear your bad luck. I got lucky, pretty sure I got a refurb as it had a tiny scratch on the back but I think it's overall better than my original. Shame I didn't get the free vouchers like others have been getting, although not complaining about not getting freebies.

Hope it works out for you :-(

The vouchers I can only assume are from people returning new units still while within the return window for another new unit from either the MS store or a reseller.

Surface Support was unable to help today once I spoke with them; said send it back and we'll send you another in a couple weeks if I'd like, but no guarantees of condition as it will be another Refurb. He mentioned this is not the first time he's had this problem come up so he was by no means surprised. If you ask me Microsoft has a future mess on their hands... especially once those of you that send back a bad 4300 that tried so hard to get then gets a 4200 in return that looks like it was run over by a garbage truck...

Will be escalating my case when I have time either with Care support or at a physical MS store (2 hours away and out of stock currently). Luckily my current unit is functional 75% of the time.

jamesk

kozak79 when did you receive your replacement unit? I think MS shipped out new retail boxes for the first couple months until they had a stock of refurbished units.

I just shipped back my 2nd Advance Replacement because the kickstands on both have been bent. The middle of the kickstand bulges out instead of being flush with the back of the case.