What's new

User account

Carolv

Hi all,

When I set up my new SP4, I used my name, Carol and my email address. My user account is listed as the first 5 letters of my email and not my name. How can I change this. Do I have to do a reset?

Thanks,
Carol

Grumpy2

@Carolv(op) Perhaps try this.
Go to Microsoft.com on your browser. Sign in with your user name and password. When you are signed in click on you name (top right of page) and then click on "View Account". You should then be able to edit your user name and password.
I hope this helps you. If not let us know.

OP
C

Carolv

@Carolv(op) Perhaps try this.
Go to Microsoft.com on your browser. Sign in with your user name and password. When you are signed in click on you name (top right of page) and then click on "View Account". You should then be able to edit your user name and password.
I hope this helps you. If not let us know.

Thanks. But the name listed on my account at Microsoft is my actual name, Carol. However the SP4 lists user\first 5 letters of my email address.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It looks like they "simplified" the design. ;) You used to be able to rename accounts in previous versions of Windows but ... I cant find a way to do that at the moment. maybe there's something buried somewhere.

OP
C

Carolv

It looks like they "simplified" the design. ;) You used to be able to rename accounts in previous versions of Windows but ... I cant find a way to do that at the moment. maybe there's something buried somewhere.

This is what I was finding also. No way to change user name. Just talked to Tech support and I guess the way to do it is when you first set up the computer, to use a local account with my name. Then after set up, change over to a MS account with my email address.

Don't know why MS has decided to use the first 5 of your email address instead of the actual name you type in.

Anyway. This SP4 is going back also. Have a dead pixel and other issues. Seems to be loosing battery fast, looses battery percent even when shut down, sometimes won't turn on, sometimes won't recognize the keyboard, clicking the pen doesn't always work. It's a shame the first one had a defective display cause I didn't notice any other problems with it. But the screen would bleed through the desktop making it unusable. I would get 2 transparent screens on top of each other.

Hopefully 3's the charm.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is what I was finding also. No way to change user name. Just talked to Tech support and I guess the way to do it is when you first set up the computer, to use a local account with my name. Then after set up, change over to a MS account with my email address.

Don't know why MS has decided to use the first 5 of your email address instead of the actual name you type in.

Anyway. This SP4 is going back also. Have a dead pixel and other issues. Seems to be loosing battery fast, looses battery percent even when shut down, sometimes won't turn on, sometimes won't recognize the keyboard, clicking the pen doesn't always work. It's a shame the first one had a defective display cause I didn't notice any other problems with it. But the screen would bleed through the desktop making it unusable. I would get 2 transparent screens on top of each other.

Hopefully 3's the charm.
I suppose you could create a new local account make it an admin, then logon with it and delete the original account, then associate the new account with the MS account... maybe.

OP
C

Carolv

I suppose you could create a new local account make it an admin, then logon with it and delete the original account, then associate the new account with the MS account... maybe.

I'm going to have to return this on anyway because of problems, so I probably won't try anything. Just reset the thing and will see about taking it back tomorrow.