What's new

Using the SP3 in bed/couch safe?

kiwigirl

Because the SP3 gets hot and has a fan so it needs to ventilate hot air out. Should we pretty much treat this like a laptop? If so then i would probably be cautious in how much you use it in bed and have it laying on bedsheets and couches.

Just leave the vents exposed and it'll be fine - get the tempered glass screen protector, and lose any worries about leaving it face down anywhere. I've had my SP3 turn on inside a snug carrying case, further entwined within my backpack. Battery drained to 15% and the SP3 had virtually no access to airflow. It got warm, and that's it, no issues. I'd say you're fine.

RémiM

Well, I am in my couch and my thingy is not hot at all. I watch netflix every night in my bed, and it is never hot either.

If your windows 8.1 is well tuned, I dont see any problem.

Of course, if you plan to run a finite element computation, dont do it in your bed. Otherwise, enjoy your SP3 and dont worry.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Okay thjanks.

Another question. Do you guys take your keyboard off each time? OR do you leave it on and fold it back?

My worry is that the magnets will wear out over time and it wont attach as well from all the attaching and detaching.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Just leave the vents exposed and it'll be fine - get the tempered glass screen protector, and lose any worries about leaving it face down anywhere. I've had my SP3 turn on inside a snug carrying case, further entwined within my backpack. Battery drained to 15% and the SP3 had virtually no access to airflow. It got warm, and that's it, no issues. I'd say you're fine.

where are the vents?

RémiM

At home I am most of the time in full tablet mode. I never fold the keyboard back. I dont like the way it feels. I'd say, dont worry for the magnets.

The vents are all around the top sides of the tablet. You cant miss them. Dont believe, like the stupid guy sent buy Microsoft at my local bestbuy, that the vents are the holes for the speakers...

r0b123

Okay thjanks.

Another question. Do you guys take your keyboard off each time? OR do you leave it on and fold it back?

My worry is that the magnets will wear out over time and it wont attach as well from all the attaching and detaching.

Most of the time I take off the keyboard because when I'm shuffling around the keyboard seems to swing out. While I haven't done any accidental key presses, it makes it easier to hold, rotate and just do the touch gestures. YMMV...

megatronium

I'm in bed right now doing some Premiere CC work and checking the forum here and there. SP3 has keyboard connected. I do this pretty much daily - been a great experience.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
kiwigirl said:
Using the SP3 in bed/couch safe?

The only thing unsafe may be if you have a significant other who had 'other' plans than browsing and blogging. :oops:

The SP3 does not generally heat up like many laptops, and the clever location of vents means the chances that they would all be obstructed is slim.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Bed has two purposes n neither of them involves using a computer/tablet. :D

However, a nice bean pillow might make for a malleable platform that would keep the air vents well out of the wraps of cushy bed covers. um, might also work if you wanted to record a personal sleep study or something. :oops:

warning: pictures and videos have a tendency to leak out the pores of devices, be sure your publicity shots are all taken in flattering poses. :D