What's new

Verification code Surface Pro 3 late

BruceB

The verification code for setup from MS gets to my inbox about 3 hours after requested. The code is only good for 30 minutes. I have been to verify web site - it works but sends a code that is one character too long. I have no problem with other email arriving within a minute or two (or sooner). I have spent almost 6 hours on the phone with MS techs all to no avail - have been "bumped up" a number of times, but no one seems to know what to do. Any ideas?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I had this very thing happen the first week of October this year, for a whole week. Drove me crazy. I could not 'verify' my account on my Surface Pro 3.

Finally I told Microsoft (by phone) to "re-provision" my account. They said they didn't want to do that, because it would also reset my stored payment methods, and password. I said 'Go'.

Problem fixed. No explanation as to why it was taking so long for the codes to arrive. But an email came in with a 'reset password' link. I did that, and all is good.

OP
B

BruceB

I had this very thing happen the first week of October this year, for a whole week. Drove me crazy. I could not 'verify' my account on my Surface Pro 3.

Finally I told Microsoft (by phone) to "re-provision" my account. They said they didn't want to do that, because it would also reset my stored payment methods, and password. I said 'Go'.

Problem fixed. No explanation as to why it was taking so long for the codes to arrive. But an email came in with a 'reset password' link. I did that, and all is good.

I'll do that. thanks. I'll let you know how I make out!

BillJ

If you have a Windows phone, there is an Authentcator" app that provides continuous verification codes. This might exist for iOS and Android as well, but I don't know for sure.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Edit your account from https://accounts.live.com/proofs/manage and add a phone number to receive text verification....

I had tried this, too, when my problem was raging. Made it worse, because then I had to respond to "Was this you?" questions on my account, which was not verified on the PC. I was told I would have to wait 30 days.

I found a compassionate Microsoft representative with the power and will to fix me up.

Liam2349

The authenticator app also works on Android and I bet there is an iOS version too. The authenticator app is very good - you can accept/decline the code from the pull-down menu on Android, think it's called the notifications tray or something.