What's new

Very very strange (possible) bug not sure, please help driving me insane!

Runic12

I recently got a surface pro 2 which was faulty so got it replaced, it was faulty due to hard drive damage. However both the new and old one elicited this strange possible bug for me, when I use the touchscreen keyboard with my thumbs it is totally fine, but when I use my fingers to type random touches appear above and below leading to the keyboard writing random letters and closing ect. But it is only with my fingers my thumbs are fine?!
Any ideas it's driving me crazy, is it a hardware fault?!
Thanks.
Nick

OP
R

Runic12

I've tried everything I could conceive of, calibration, settings changes, some firmware and driver re-installations, total reset of the whole device and obviously cleaning the screen. Nothing has fixed it :/
Thanks.
Nick

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Wild guess here... Crops up with me sometimes.

You may have a condition known as "Zombie Fingers". People with this condition have electronically 'dead' skin, such as musicians with callouses, on parts of their fingers. Rarely happens with thumbs. Charge buildups and dead zones are patchy and in close proximity, confusing the screen.

I am a musician, and can experience this when learning a new classical guitar piece, or after violin sessions.

Others who can suffer this to various degrees:
- People with cold hands
- Medical or food service workers who use the antiseptic hand cleaning stations often.
- Active swimmers (salt-chlorinated pools or ocean)
- People who craft with their hands
- People with pacemakers (can block capacitance in fingertips)
- Artisans or painters who must wash hands often, stripping away natural oils.
- People who get a wax or cream buildup on their hands, such as hairdressers, auto detailers, cleaning staff, or cooks.

By the way, a capacitive touch stylus, such as with the Surface Pro 3 (unlike your Surface Pro 2), carries a voltage potential all the way from your hand through the pen, concentrating it at the special nub. If your pen works properly, it is likely that your Surface device is fine.

Even a piece of sausage might work as a test.

@Runic12, go visit a shop which sells Microsoft Surface products, or find a friend with a SP2. Try one out. You will find out immediately if it is indeed you.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wild guess here... Crops up with me sometimes.

You may have a condition known as "Zombie Fingers". People with this condition have electronically 'dead' skin, such as musicians with callouses, on parts of their fingers. Rarely happens with thumbs. Charge buildups and dead zones are patchy and in close proximity, confusing the screen.

I am a musician, and can experience this when learning a new classical guitar piece, or after violin sessions.

Others who can suffer this to various degrees:
- People with cold hands
- Medical or food service workers who use the antiseptic hand cleaning stations often.
- Active swimmers (salt-chlorinated pools or ocean)
- People who craft with their hands
- People with pacemakers (can block capacitance in fingertips)
- Artisans or painters who must wash hands often, stripping away natural oils.
- People who get a wax or cream buildup on their hands, such as hairdressers, auto detailers, cleaning staff, or cooks.

By the way, a capacitive touch stylus, such as with the Surface Pro 3 (unlike your Surface Pro 2), carries a voltage potential all the way from your hand through the pen, concentrating it at the special nub. If your pen works properly, it is likely that your Surface device is fine.

Even a piece of sausage might work as a test.

@Runic12, go visit a shop which sells Microsoft Surface products, or find a friend with a SP2. Try one out. You will find out immediately if it is indeed you.
Another thing that may cause a high capacitive charge is wearing nylon stockings or hose especially with a silk dress or other clothing combinations. :)

OP
R

Runic12

The weird thing is sometimes it appears to be fine and then suddenly kicks in and nothing can remove it, I though it might be net framework 3.5 due to it cropping up aftevinstallig and old game so removed net framework 3.5 and it stopped but now it's back! What is going on it makes no sense!

OP
R

Runic12

I have my friend has a surface basic model and it is fine, I called microsoft and the guy reckons it's a fault so I sent it back, will update you if it happens with the new one when it arrives!