What's new

VLC Player For Surface RT Scam for Money or What ?

goodintentions

First of all, I expect none of you have either Kickstarter/crowdsource or programming experience, given your posts....
Oion, I understand what your post is saying. I really do. I've donated thousands over the years to kickstarter and opensource projects. I also have several projects of my own, including the office word touch (discussion thread in this very forum).

For example, I promised some of the users of word touch from the beginning that I will add an export to pdf feature. And while I've added an export function for every other file format, exporting to pdf still eludes me. Trust me, I'm working hard on it whenever I can. I have a full time job as a structural engineer, so I spend whatever free time I can spare trying to get an export to pdf working. I've taken 3 different approaches already, and all 3 were dead-ends. With the limitations of metro, this path is really kicking my ass. And I'm not even doing this because I've raised money or have a large user-base support. It's just for my own amusement for the most part.

What irritates me about the people behind the VLC project is the total lack of press updates. Yes, yes, RT users percentage is in the single digit. That's still at the very least tens of thousands. They've raised $80k for it, which I think is pretty impressive considering there's not many of us that are metro fans.

But absolutely no progress report whatsoever? A simple "we got this working, but that is causing instability... tests this month shows..." would be light years better than total silence.

Recently, my office word touch app got a bug. Started receiving emails from concerned users. I responded to every single email and inquiry. I started working on solving the bug right away. And within half a week's time, the bug is solved. I just emailed everyone who enquired about this that the latest release fixes this bug. And my user-base for this app is still in the triple digits. The app itself earns me peanuts, but I'm enthusiastic about it and ultimately responsible to the few people who actually use my app. If I can't solve something in a timely manner, at least I keep people updated.

Again, we haven't heard anything from VLC for... ever. Is it really that hard to give us a short blog post saying "hey guys, don't worry we're still working on this..."?

And by the way, I worked for my day job a total of 61 hours last week. Don't tell me the people behind VLC have been so busy they can't even post a short progress report.

OP
F

F2504x4

goodintentions you made excellent point when you wrote this.
What irritates me about the people behind the VLC project is the total lack of press updates. Yes, yes, RT users percentage is in the single digit. That's still at the very least tens of thousands. They've raised $80k for it, which I think is pretty impressive considering there's not many of us that are metro fans.

But absolutely no progress report whatsoever? A simple "we got this working, but that is causing instability... tests this month shows..." would be light years better than total silence.

I want to see other spread the word about what happened so that maybe just maybe they will at the very least give a update... At this point I still think they took the money and ran

kundas1

goodintentions At this point I still think they took the money and ran

That's what I been saying all along! But did anyone listen? nooo!! but you have people like Onion who's defending them and asking if we've ever had a kick starter or crowdsource which makes NO difference if we did or not, I know when someone has taken the money and ran! you don't have to be a genius to know that! And there IS NO EXCUSE IN THE WORLD you can give me that justifies 3 years to write a media app!

OP
F

F2504x4

Nope... have you?

Just found this, wonder if it is valid...
Oct 3 2014

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...the-new-windows-8-user-experience-metro/posts
Second VLC for WinRT release
3 comments
\nLike\n"">
14 likes
A new release
Today, you should see a new release of VLC for WinRT on the Windows Store: 0.1.0.

This is the second major release of this application. While still beta, it should be way more stable than the previous one.

The major changes are:

• using libVLC 2.2.0 core,
  • redesign of the interface,
  • huge performance improvements,
  • use of Winsock for networking instead of WinRTsock,
  • use of Windows 8.1 widgets,
  • move the interface code to Universal to prepare Windows Phone 8.1 port.
To get more stability, the performance improvements and the preparation to port for WP8.1, we had to move the application to Windows 8.1-only.

Be careful, this is still not as perfect and stable as the desktop release.

ARM
While this release is still x86-only, we've made great advances on the ARM port. More news soon.