VMWare and Type Cover

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by GTiceman, Nov 5, 2014.

1. GTiceman

GTiceman Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I posted this in another thread and asked a few of you but really haven't gotten or been able to find a definitive answer. I am looking to run VMWare Workstation or Player, as I have both, on my SP3 running Windows 10. I built a VM of my Windows 7 laptop using vCenter Converter Standalone and running it from an external drive on my SP3. the problem I am facing is that the Type Cover does not seem to work in the VM. The trackpad of the Type Cover works fine.

I might try rebuilding the VM later today and re-installing the Tools, but any thoughts on this might help. As a side note my regular keyboard di not seem to work either when connected via a USB 3.0 dock, the only was I can connect it.

2. B'midbar

B'midbar Guest

I've been running VMware Workstation 10 on a 256GB, i5 SP3 no problem, both with the type cover keyboard and an external bluetooth one. Mice and keyboards all work fine. Have you tried re-installing the VMware Tools on the client VMs?

3. GTiceman

GTiceman Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I will be doing a full new VM this afternoon and then re-install the tools when I load it, any other tips for running a VM on the SP3? I am using an external drive for it.

4. B'midbar

B'midbar Guest

External I'd be running the VM from an SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure to make it as fast as possible. This is about the only time I miss my old notebook where I was running a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO internally w/16GB RAM.

5. Kif

Kif Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Running VMware Workstation in Windows 10 is going to be tricky. VMware wants you to buy workstation 11.0 so you're going to get zero support from them. I wonder if it's a drivers issue in Windows 10.

6. wditters

wditters Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    VMware WS 10 works fine on my SP3 with Windows 10 .. No keyboard issues here

7. GTiceman

GTiceman Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I am using a 128GB UFD 3.0 for best speeds

I'll upgrade when available, can always use player if need be

My VM detects the Surface Pro Type Cover but then installs as a USB Device and the keyboard doesn't work.

8. GTiceman

GTiceman Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I gave up an switched to Hyper V, problem is I can't use the Virtual Connection manager to connect to it.