What's new

VMWare and Type Cover

GTiceman

I posted this in another thread and asked a few of you but really haven't gotten or been able to find a definitive answer. I am looking to run VMWare Workstation or Player, as I have both, on my SP3 running Windows 10. I built a VM of my Windows 7 laptop using vCenter Converter Standalone and running it from an external drive on my SP3. the problem I am facing is that the Type Cover does not seem to work in the VM. The trackpad of the Type Cover works fine.

I might try rebuilding the VM later today and re-installing the Tools, but any thoughts on this might help. As a side note my regular keyboard di not seem to work either when connected via a USB 3.0 dock, the only was I can connect it.

B

B'midbar

I've been running VMware Workstation 10 on a 256GB, i5 SP3 no problem, both with the type cover keyboard and an external bluetooth one. Mice and keyboards all work fine. Have you tried re-installing the VMware Tools on the client VMs?

OP
G

GTiceman

I've been running VMware Workstation 10 on a 256GB, i5 SP3 no problem, both with the type cover keyboard and an external bluetooth one. Mice and keyboards all work fine. Have you tried re-installing the VMware Tools on the client VMs?

I will be doing a full new VM this afternoon and then re-install the tools when I load it, any other tips for running a VM on the SP3? I am using an external drive for it.

B

B'midbar

I will be doing a full new VM this afternoon and then re-install the tools when I load it, any other tips for running a VM on the SP3? I am using an external drive for it.

External I'd be running the VM from an SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure to make it as fast as possible. This is about the only time I miss my old notebook where I was running a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO internally w/16GB RAM.

Kif

Running VMware Workstation in Windows 10 is going to be tricky. VMware wants you to buy workstation 11.0 so you're going to get zero support from them. I wonder if it's a drivers issue in Windows 10.

OP
G

GTiceman

External I'd be running the VM from an SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure to make it as fast as possible. This is about the only time I miss my old notebook where I was running a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO internally w/16GB RAM.

I am using a 128GB UFD 3.0 for best speeds

Running VMware Workstation in Windows 10 is going to be tricky. VMware wants you to buy workstation 11.0 so you're going to get zero support from them. I wonder if it's a drivers issue in Windows 10.

I'll upgrade when available, can always use player if need be

VMware WS 10 works fine on my SP3 with Windows 10 .. No keyboard issues here

My VM detects the Surface Pro Type Cover but then installs as a USB Device and the keyboard doesn't work.

OP
G

GTiceman

I gave up an switched to Hyper V, problem is I can't use the Virtual Connection manager to connect to it.